VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sunnyhat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed a problem in DosBox 0.74 and 0.73 that might be related to Windows 10.
At least i don't recall having this issue before, but i could be wrong.

Whenever i try to play a game in a high resolution (800x600 or higher) DosBox becomes highly irratic, making it unusuable.

For example if i try to play Mechwarrior 2 in 1024x768 the screen will be offset to the lower right so it is partly cut off and the mouse becomes uncontrollable.
In System Shock 1, if i choose any resolution higher than 800x600 DosBox begins to stutter severly or becomes completely unresponsive, except for the mouse cursor and the music, wich still plays.

If i put the same game files for either game in a 0.72 DosBox, they work perfectly fine.

Any ideas?`

EDIT: I should add that i played these games properly in the past with 0.74. I can see that from my conf files. Hence my suspicion it has something to do with Win 10.

EDIT2: My PC specs for reference:

Last edited by Sunnyhat on 2017-04-24, 10:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Have you tried different outputs in the config file?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 4, by Sunnyhat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Have you tried different outputs in the config file?

Yeah i tested everything i could think off. windowed, fullscreen, outputs, fixed resolution, original resolution, aspect ratio, different scalers, no scaler, ... the works.
And while the different output types give the usual mixed results the problem stayed the same.
Then i did a (shorter) test with 0.73 and it behaved the same.

I searched on the net and stumbled across a wiki article about running Mechwarrior 2. The author claimed it was working fine in 1024x768 and i saw he was using 0.72.
So i downloaded a 0.72 copy, threw my game files in and it worked right away.

And today i noticed the same thing happening in System Shock. So i don't think it's a game specific problem.
I'm kinda low on DOS games that use those "high" resolutions though. Not sure i have more to test.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After you change output= in dosbox.conf and launch DOSBox type "output" into the DOSBox CLI and verify it matches dosbox.conf

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Sunnyhat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem just solved itself.

I don't know why but MW2 now works correctly in a fresh install of 0.74.
I may have had one of DosFreak's modified exe's in my supposedly "clean" 0.74 files. 🤣

And System Shock never had resolutions higher than 640x480. I only got those on account of some fan made patch i use for mouselook functionality and they never worked correctly.

So, my bad, case closed.