Is Vista now Retro

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 249, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-23, 18:44:

Almost 14 years old, official support for everything major dropped long time ago - retro. Heck, Windows 98 acquired retro status without even reaching 10 year mark.

Yeah, Windows 98 was retro right away after its release. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 221 of 249, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think Vista hovers on that line along with SATA and PCI Express. However, while everyone knows about the issues with SSDs under Windows 98, etc; Vista was built for the era of spinning platters too. Windows 7 may only be NT 6.1 to Vista's 6.0, but it supports SSDs out of the box. Vista is vintage at least in that usability regard.

Somewhat similar a debate could have been had in the past regarding USB mass storage support comparing Windows 98 (4.1) to Me (4.9 (98 Third Edition by any other name)).

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 222 of 249, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Big Pink wrote on 2021-06-23, 22:00:

I think Vista hovers on that line along with SATA and PCI Express. However, while everyone knows about the issues with SSDs under Windows 98, etc; Vista was built for the era of spinning platters too. Windows 7 may only be NT 6.1 to Vista's 6.0, but it supports SSDs out of the box. Vista is vintage at least in that usability regard.

While I really would like to fully agree, there also were a few SSD technologies which the old maid introduced.. 🙁

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive#History

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 224 of 249, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but it supports SSDs out of the box

Windows 7 added TRIM command on one file system and only via ATA interface. File system is not NTFS, storage is USB or SCSI/SAS (interface commands)? Tough luck - no TRIM. Also not capable to Secure Erase SSD and defrag utility is not aware of SSDs. So calling it "SSD support out of the box" is overstatement. Although later Windows 7 received NVME support via update and fixed SCSI/SAS issue.

On the other hand, Vista was well aware of solid state storages and can cache some files to them via ReadyBoost.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-06-24, 16:56. Edited 7 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 225 of 249, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vista IMO can't be retro because 7 is basically a rebrand of Vista with all the Vista updates included.

Microsoft is repeating the same error with the "new" Windows 11 which is just a rebrand of 10 + updates and a awkward theme update.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 226 of 249, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2021-06-24, 02:24:

Microsoft is repeating the same error with the "new" Windows 11 which is just a rebrand of 10 + updates and a awkward theme update.

Which in turn is just a refurbished Windows 8.x..

That being said, Windows 8 was at least partially pretty to look at.
On a side by side comparison, Windows 1x looks very bleak.

What I do miss from 8.x is that blue side-bar thingy with the WLAN stations.

This is akin to Windows 7 vs Vista, think.:

Windows 7 was technically much more defined, but Vista had much prettier optics.

Just think of that glossy, cool black taskbar with the blue marble (start button) !
Like a hommage to our blue planet.

Also, the desktop gadgets. They were useful, actually.

But that's 21th century Microsoft. Instead of making things selectable for users that find them useful,
the company tries something new and if it's no big success, abandons it all together.

In my opinion, that's no better than Apple. Rather, worse.
Apple at least used to have this whole family thing going on.
Ie, the company never bad mouths its own products.
Microsoft by contrast, denies its own products whenever it suits the company.

//My video channel//

Reply 227 of 249, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 8.x was very colorful, perhaps too much so. Win10 tried to reduce the active colors to a few select shades. It may look bleak, but overtime creates less sensory overload.

I think many of the Vista visual themes can be ported to Win7 or somehow made to work there, so you can get the best of both worlds.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 228 of 249, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I first heard the term "retro" it refereed to newly made things such as the Kawasaki W650, Hinkly Triumph twins, the new mini and such with older styling. It did not refer to old kit back then at all. That was considered just junk and could be had at very little cost.

Of course that was also when those fabulous 32-bit Intel P4 based systems were common place running XP.. 😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-26, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 229 of 249, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-26, 14:58:

What I do miss from 8.x is that blue side-bar thingy with the WLAN stations.

Also, the desktop gadgets. They were useful, actually.

Windows 11 is bringing back widgets. They will be on a slide-out thing from the side of the screen and can be made whole screen. We'll see if they or someone else makes it pinnable.

Reply 230 of 249, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 16:57:

When I first heard the term "retro" it refereed to newly made things such as the Kawasaki W650, Hinkly Triumph twins, the new mini and such with older styling.

I know. I know. But semantic shift is an extant linguistic phenomenon to the point where a word can flip meaning in just a few centuries. It happened a lot quicker with 'Retro'. Must be Future Shock.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 231 of 249, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Big Pink wrote on 2021-06-23, 22:00:

while everyone knows about the issues with SSDs under Windows 98, etc; Vista was built for the era of spinning platters too. Windows 7 may only be NT 6.1 to Vista's 6.0, but it supports SSDs out of the box. Vista is vintage at least in that usability regard.

Windows XP has no problem seeing my solid state drives :\

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 232 of 249, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows XP has no problem seeing my solid state drives :\

Of course, SSDs were a thing since late 90s. But "SSD support" is commonly associated with managed by OS TRIM command, although Windows 7 has very limited support for TRIM, as I've mentioned above.

Reply 233 of 249, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-28, 11:32:

Of course, SSDs were a thing since late 90s. But "SSD support" is commonly associated with managed by OS TRIM command, although Windows 7 has very limited support for TRIM, as I've mentioned above.

Has it improved in 8.x/10?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 234 of 249, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, Windows 8+ can automatically and manually (via defrag) initiate TRIM on any interface (ATA/SAS/NVME/USB). But AFAIK limitation for NTFS is still there, i.e. no TRIM on FAT32 or ExFAT.

Reply 235 of 249, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-28, 12:01:

Yes, Windows 8+ can automatically and manually (via defrag) initiate TRIM on any interface (ATA/SAS/NVME/USB). But AFAIK limitation for NTFS is still there, i.e. no TRIM on FAT32 or ExFAT.

I can confirm the TRIM on NTFS only (not FAT32) in Windows 10 . See Re: Planning to install SSD in my Windows 98 machine. Help, advice, suggestions, etc.?

Additionally, though TRIM can work over ATA (IDE), at least under DOS (works for FAT32 using RLOEW's TRIM utility) and Linux (fstrim does not work for FAT32 at last check, but does appear to work for NTFS, for example), not all IDE to SATA converter allow it to work (JMicron and Marvell ones do, Sunplus ones do not) . I have not tried TRIM on any such adapted (IDE to SATA) devices under Windows 10 . My point is that even under Windows TRIM on NTFS volumes may not always work through at least some interface converters, not necessarily due to a Windows 10 limitation, but because of the converter used .

Reply 236 of 249, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SSDs are really old,

I have 2,5mbyte SSD from sun disk with ide 44 connector

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 237 of 249, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW some motherboards from Vista period had onboard NAND for ReadyBoost: https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/8283 … erboard/?page=2

I think many of the Vista visual themes can be ported to Win7 or somehow made to work there

You can port Vista theme even on Windows 10.

Reply 239 of 249, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-28, 12:01:

there are 3rd party solutions for that