VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MattSA_01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see you receive a ton of questions about the key mapper - I'm sorry I have to add another. I am running a Lenovo Flex 3. I am playing Pools of Radiance which utilizes the Home and End keys to navigate vertically through lists which on my computer requires the function key to be active.I have tried turning off hotkeys to invert the selection on keys including a primary command as well as a function purpose. This worked but only on the top strip of function keys f1 through f12. When I tried the function keys for vertically scrolling in POR, I still need the function key depressed (fn + Home or fn + End). This left me at the keymapper.

I have been successful mapping alphabet characters to one another (like in the example of making x produce z). However, it does not seem as if there is anyway of accessing the Fn key from the keymapper - it does not show a Function key on the map and is neither the ALT or Ctrl key (through the MOD keys). I am hoping there is some less obvious answer to this problem. If someone has an answer please send some help. An be specific - I was having trouble with any of the mapping of dual key processes to a single key.

Thanks,
Matt

Reply 2 of 8, by MattSA_01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keymapper does not offer the function key on the map therefore I cannot assign it to another key. The key functionality I'd like to map to other keys requires a key combination - function + home and function + end. I'd like to assign function + home to the '>' key and function + end to the '<' key. However, since keymapper requires the "purpose" keys (fn + home and fn + end) to start the process of binding and the keys to be "binded" to (<,>) second and I cannot locate the function key I can't do a simple assignment.

I believe the steps required are:
select fn + home 'because there is no 'function' or 'fn' keys on the keymapper I cannot continue with assignment
select add
select '>'
save

Reply 3 of 8, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I'm just not understanding this correctly but isn't this what you want:

DOSBox Manual (modified) wrote:

Q1. You want to have the "X" on your keyboard to type a "Home" in DOSBox.
A. Click on the "Home" on the keyboard mapper. Click "Add".
Now press the "X" key on your keyboard.

No need for the fn key in any step.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 4 of 8, by MattSA_01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my keyboard, the home key is on the same key as the PgUp key and the end key is on the same key as the PgDn key. To access home and end I need to activate the Fn key at the same time - Fn + home and Fn + end. There is no Fn key on the keymapper. Mod1 accesses Alt and Mod2 accesses Ctrl, Mod3 seems to access nothing. The Add button is used to bind new functionality to a key and requires that the event be specified before the key to be binded to:

activate fn + home through keymapper this is the step giving me trouble; I do not know how to activate the fn key.
press add
press > on keyboard binds the functionality of fn + home to the key >
save

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MattSA_01 wrote:

activate fn + home through keymapper this is the step giving me trouble; I do not know how to activate the fn key.

You don't need to "activate" the fn key. Just use your mouse and click the button marked "home" in the keymapper.

Reply 6 of 8, by MattSA_01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correct me if I am wrong but that would map the PgUp functionality to a new key and I want to map the Home functionality to the new key (which normally requires me to use the combination of fn + PgUp). Consider the F1 to F12 keys at the top of the keyboard. On my computer each one provides two purposes - a system function like raising or lowering volume and a function number key which acts as a keyboard shortcut when used in combination with the function key. If I mapped one of these keys to another key I would be mapping the system function, how would I map the shortcut that requires the function key?

What I am saying is if the key has two purposes and relies on a fn + key sequence how would I map that functionality to a new key?

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

on the mapper screen, click home.
click "add"
press the key on your keyboard that you want to give the home functionality (e.g the f12 key without pressing fn)

done.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MattSA_01 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but that would map the PgUp functionality to a new key

No, that would require clicking the button marked "PgUp" in the keymapper.