VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by Laurentiis von Feuer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote on 2021-11-28, 21:27:

Are you sure this is not the Windows 2000 bootloader? The one on the small boot partition?

Sure. I've formatted entire HDD (via SCSI Ctrl Utility) and even changed to another HDD.

Reply 41 of 42, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its been a while since I've played with Windows NT on Alpha (my Alphas have usually run OpenVMS and Digital UNIX/Tru64) but IIRC in the AlphaBIOS Setup there is a screen somewhere where you can edit the boot menu - I guess the setting you're after might be somewhere in there. I seem to remember there being a place where you can edit environment variables too but I don't remember where (and I might actually be thinking of the unrelated SRM firmware).

Given Compaq abandoned Windows 2000 support before the final stable release I suppose its even possible they just never added a UI for controlling this option. If you can't find anything digging through all the AlphaBIOS setup screens I might be able to fire up an AlphaServer 800 or DS20 sometime to see if I can find something.

Reply 42 of 42, by Laurentiis von Feuer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2021-11-28, 23:34:

Its been a while since I've played with Windows NT on Alpha (my Alphas have usually run OpenVMS and Digital UNIX/Tru64) but IIRC in the AlphaBIOS Setup there is a screen somewhere where you can edit the boot menu - I guess the setting you're after might be somewhere in there. I seem to remember there being a place where you can edit environment variables too but I don't remember where (and I might actually be thinking of the unrelated SRM firmware).

Given Compaq abandoned Windows 2000 support before the final stable release I suppose its even possible they just never added a UI for controlling this option. If you can't find anything digging through all the AlphaBIOS setup screens I might be able to fire up an AlphaServer 800 or DS20 sometime to see if I can find something.

Great thanks for thoughts, but I already tried all this. No utilities on NT 4.0 disk, neither option in AlphaBIOS (even in Boot Menu Editor)...that's why I need some help)
Only thing I didn't try - look for utilities on Win2000 disk, but the hope is phantom.