VOGONS

440LX and 100MHz FSB

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, for as much as the board's name, it makes perfectly sense it being an LX chipset 🤣 I was just soooo certain that data on Gigabyte's own website would be the least inaccurate place to find data. But I'll stand corrected, all though being an EX chipset, which is actually a newer version of LX would've made sense to actually make a 100 MHz setting, hoping it would be stable 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 21 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see other sources agree with you all, that it in fact is an LX chipset on the 686LX3 .. 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 22 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote:

Well, for as much as the board's name, it makes perfectly sense it being an LX chipset 🤣 I was just soooo certain that data on Gigabyte's own website would be the least inaccurate place to find data. But I'll stand corrected, all though being an EX chipset, which is actually a newer version of LX would've made sense to actually make a 100 MHz setting, hoping it would be stable 😀

EX isn't so much "newer" as "cut-down". The main difference is that the memory controller is limited to two DIMMs/four banks, where you can use four DIMMs on the LX - basically the same as the ZX vs BX later. Oh, and no SMP.