VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tciecka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a long fight with this silly program, I've won. Heres how:

Card Tested: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
Drivers: ATI Catalyst Release 4.6 (June 10, 2004)

Step 1: Patch the game
Go here.
Get the Riva TNT patch and apply it.

Step 2: Run FF7Config.exe
Click the 'Graphics' tab.
Make sure the NVIDIA box is checked.
Make sure that the 'TNT' circle is selected.
Select 'Direct3D Hardware Acceleration' in the 'Renderer' box.
Click OK.

Step 3 : Modify ATI 3D settings
Open the 'Display' control panel.
Click the 'Settings' tab.
Click the 'Advanced' button near the bottom of the tab.
Click the "ATI 3D" tab.
Move the 'Performance/Quality' slider to the 'Balanced' position.
Click 'Apply'.
Click 'OK'.
Close the 'Display' control panel.

Step 4 : Play the game

Notes:
FF7 hates FSAA. Period.
If you have any settings that force the application of FSAA upon the game, it will simply look like crap. The 'Balanced' setting under the 3D tab insures that FSAA is only turned on when an application requests it.
FSAA does not break the program, the game will run with FSAA on but some backgrounds will appear maligned. Oddly enough, the combat portion of the game is not hurt by FSAA, quite the contrary, it improves the display of text as well as other textures.

On a side note, for a patch to change the MIDI music to that of the actual FF7 playstation game, go here.

Thats all folks.

Reply 1 of 2, by shadowfield

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you play the game under 2k or XP they game will always crash when you get to the first chocobo race as outlined on eidos's site here. There if an unofficial patch that you can get thats on eidos's site that fixes it.

Reply 2 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, thanks for starting this thread! I actually tried running FF7 on my XP box (Radeon 9700 Pro) recently and had problems with background corruption. Your post inspired me to try again, and this time I discovered that it was the Anisotropic Filtering option that was causing the corruption. So, as an alternative to setting the "Balanced" mode, you can make sure the following options are set:

FSAA: App Pref.
AF: App Pref.
Alternate Pixel Center: Disabled

If you play a lot of games like I do and don't like changing your ATI settings around for each of them, I'd highly recommend Radlinker: http://www28.brinkster.com/chrisww1942/