VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

The new Intel HD Graphics 4600 drivers appear to screw DOSBox (0.74) up: in fullscreen, the screen flickers and disappears. Resetting DOSBox options had no effect, nor did reinstalling DOSBox. I rollbacked the driver and all is well again. Is there a workaround for this, in case Windows 10 decides to update the driver again? Or did I miss something?

Thanks

EDIT: I should probably add that I'm currently using driver version 20.19.15.4531 (dated 29/09/2016), which is working fine.

Reply 1 of 5, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AdamP wrote:

Is there a workaround for this, in case Windows 10 decides to update the driver again?

Yep, Windows has just gone and automatically reupdated the driver without prompting or anything, and yes, the problem has returned.

Is there a way to disable this?

Reply 2 of 5, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there is a tool provided by Microsoft for disabling the updates for a specific driver:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073 … lling-in-window

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 5, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote:

Yes, there is a tool provided by Microsoft for disabling the updates for a specific driver:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073 … lling-in-window

Thanks. I tried that, but this device doesn't appear. What's also strange is that DOSBox appears to be set to use the NVIDIA processor rather than this integrated device 😕 (at least, it says that NVIDIA is the default device for the program). If it is using NVIDIA, appears to be working fine at the moment (although I have rollbacked the Intel driver again).

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the driver ver that doesn't work? Are you using the drivers provided by Windows Update or have you tried downloading the latest driver from Intel?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

What's the driver ver that doesn't work? Are you using the drivers provided by Windows Update or have you tried downloading the latest driver from Intel?

I can't remember the number but I think it's dated October this year. Windows is just - automatically and without warning or asking - updating the driver (I know when it's doing this because the screen briefly turns blank and I think I also get "device unplugged" and "device plugged in" sounds). I have tried the procedure here, but I don't know if it'll work as it doesn't ask about drivers. What I don't get is that if it really is using NVIDIA, why would a driver update for the other graphics device cause this to happen? 😕 It appears to be using NVIDIA because I changed a setting (I think it was FXAA) there and there was a very noticeable difference in DOSBox.