Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2018-3-08 @ 15:47

I'm in the process of releasing a file system with Wine 3.1. It definitely broke a few programs. So far I verified that Age of Empires Demo also won't install under Wine 3 on a real Linux box. But it also fixes some programs. WinTrek no longer has drawing issues. I tried Wine 3.2/3.3, but my programs were 10x slower and I'm not sure why. I guess it will be like Play on Linux, I will have to support multiple Wine versions in order to support more games.

As for Windows 1 and 2 compatibility, that is unfortunate they dropped support in Wine 1.3. Currently with the way I do things, Wine 1.4 is the lowest version I can handle because that is when they implemented their DIB driver. My Winex11.drv replacement doesn't handle palettes, fonts, blending, etc, so Wine will fall back to the DIB driver to handle those cases. Basically Wine just hands me a bitmap and I display it.
danoon

Postby Jo22 » 2018-3-31 @ 21:46

danoon wrote:As for Windows 1 and 2 compatibility, that is unfortunate they dropped support in Wine 1.3. Currently with the way I do things, Wine 1.4 is the lowest version I can handle because that is when they implemented their DIB driver. My Winex11.drv replacement doesn't handle palettes, fonts, blending, etc, so Wine will fall back to the DIB driver to handle those cases. Basically Wine just hands me a bitmap and I display it.

Never mind, it's okay for me. While I really wished WINE would have had kept that,
I also see the improvements that took place with Windows 3.x support.
The games on your gallery look very well now. Some even better than they did on Win95.

And on the bright side, developers of games like Klotz were already prepared for
the upcoming Windows 3.0, so that they made sure they could run fine there.

For the older games, there's still hope that they can be patched enough to appear
as regular (more or less) Windows 3.0 applications (either by Borland's resource editor or Mark30),
but without breaking Windows 2.xx compatibility.

So nothing is really lost (though it would have been cool to be able
to run an unaltered file from ~1986).

Anyway, Boxedwine really improved and I hope it will continue to do so.
If you need any help, you can count on me. :)

Just write it down or sent me a PM,
and I will try my best to test a few games for you.

Best regards,
happy easter holidays,
Jo22
"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//
Jo22
l33t

Postby danoon » 2018-4-13 @ 22:47

Jo22, thanks for the help. I will definitely post here again when I get closer to another release. I have a major code refactoring going on right now that will hopefully make it easier to add new cpu cores. And with a bit of luck, maybe make the code easier to work with too. But its really too easy to let a code refactoring get out of control. Its already been several weeks since I have been able to compile :exclamation:
danoon

Postby Serious Callers Only » 2018-4-25 @ 10:56

wouldn't it be better to use github? Seriously, i think it's a major turn off for both the visibility of a new project and ease of contribution (not that i was planning anything).
Serious Callers Only

Postby danoon » 2018-6-02 @ 01:35

SCO, I don't know about Github, but SourceForge has been pretty bad about down time this year and now it can take several minutes for simple commits. I wonder what is up with them, its like they don't even want to host projects anymore.
danoon

Postby The_L1985 » 2018-6-11 @ 15:11

Jo22 wrote:
I think wine breaking programs (ie: regressions) are unusual

Not really related, but years ago the Linux kernal (v.3.14) had broken 16-bit PM support (got fixed by Linus ?),
As far as WINE compatibility is concerened.. well..

Windows 1.x and 2.x NE executables are nolonger recognized properly since quite a while,
as I mentioned briefly in an older thread years ago.

I know, sounds like nitpicking, haha. :sweatdrop:

In reality, there aren't that many fans of KLOTZ,
Tetris for Windows, Modem Chess, Taipei or Starbase anymore I suppose. ;)

Considering I only know of Taipei because my husband figured out how to "break" it as a kid, probably. :)

As someone completely new to DOS (I was into my teens when it was discontinued, but Dad hadn't let us actually use DOS prompts ourselves beyond "run [CD-ROM game]" I have zero idea how to get my Win3.1 copy to install on DOSBox...Boxedwine would not only make that easier, but allow me to easily play old Win9x games as well (I still have some of those).
One step forward, two steps back, three steps sideways.
The_L1985

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2018-7-16 @ 00:32

If Nitemare 3D works with it, I'll finally be able to switch to x64.
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie

Postby danoon » 2018-7-17 @ 01:57

filipetolhuizen wrote:If Nitemare 3D works with it, I'll finally be able to switch to x64.

I tested the Windows 3.1 shareware version from https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Nitemare-3D_for_Windows.html

Looks like just a single x86 instruction was missing in my emulation. I added it and it seems to work now.

I'm not sure when my next release will be ready with this fix, I'm hopeful before the end of the year, but no promises.
Attachments
nitemare3d..jpg
Nitemare 3D
danoon

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2018-7-21 @ 23:43

Great Job! N3D is one of the most complex Win3.x games, as it relies on multiple libraries such as WinG.
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie

Postby Jo22 » 2018-8-15 @ 12:18

I second that. Great work! N3D was one of the first 3D games I've seen on Win3.x. :)
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//
Jo22
l33t

Postby danoon » 2018-10-01 @ 17:06

Boxedwine is still coming along. I hope to have an 18R2 release later this year. The goals for this release

* No regression for games that used to work
* Wine 3.1 support (mostly done, copy/paste doesn't work, mouse cursor looks weird sometimes)
* Better performance using a JIT recompiler
* Fix at least a few games

The JIT recompiler is coming along nicely and thought I would share some numbers (of course these number are relative to my development machine i7-6700K)

Quake 2

command line: BoxedWine.exe -nosound -root c:\wine17 -zip c:\wine17\wine17.zip -w /home/username/files/q2 /bin/wine /home/username/files/q2/quake2.exe +timedemo 1 +map demo1.dm2

11.6 fps 18R1 32-bit build
21.2 fps current 32-bit build with JIT

And for fun, I experimented with a binary translator, but it is not stable enough for release, though I do plan to continue working on it.

121.8 fps 18R1 64-bit build with binary translator
danoon

Postby Jo22 » 2018-10-04 @ 01:34

Good news, thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to it. :)

//My video channel//
Jo22
l33t

Postby danoon » 2018-10-13 @ 01:47

Released a beta for 18R2

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boxedw ... 0Beta%201/

Major changes from 18R1
* Added support for Wine 3.1 (some games work better, some worse)
* Added a dynamic recompiler, should be about 2x faster than 2018 R1
* No longer uses the -m argument to specify memory, it will be dynamically allocated
* Supports -bpp 8 command line argument for games that need the emulated desktop to start in 8-bit
* Fixed some 8-bit color games, like MDK
danoon

Postby danoon » 2018-10-15 @ 17:41

Updated Boxedwine 18R2 beta 1 to Boxedwine 18R2 beta 1a

* Changed Wine to use gdi as its DirectDrawRenderer

This should allow Direct Draw games to work. This registry change could have been done manually, but since Direct Draw using OpenGL doesn't work at all in Boxedwine, I thought it made more sense to include this registry change in the file systems by default.
danoon

Postby Jo22 » 2018-11-12 @ 05:09

Thanks for the update! :)

//My video channel//
Jo22
l33t

Previous

Return to PC Emulation