VOGONS

First post, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there, I've been trying to install Strike Commander under DOSBox but not having too much luck. If EMS is disabled it will give you an error saying there is not enough memory free and if it is enabled it says the driver is not VCPI compliant. It will however let the installation continue until it wants to copy the files across, then it says "memory cannot be initialized. Installation terminating" ... I tried disabling network support and altering memory sizes but to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Reply 1 of 16, by Couchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's funny, because I've seen people say different things about how you need to set the .conf file. However, I managed to get through the first installation error by setting both the EMS and XMS to false.

But, if you're installing from the disk-based version (the one available at Underdogs), you'll probably run into a second problem; the installation fails just as it completes, and it never writes the last file you need to run the game (sc.exe). This seems to happen to alot of people.

The first solution is to install Strike Commander through another emulator with Dos 6.22, then copy the directory over to where ever you've got Dosbox looking at.
The second solution is to use the Strike Commander CD instead. The ISO is floating around somewhere on the internet - P2P networks are the best place to start.

Of course, once you get it installed, there is a third problem people are having. On most computers, the game crashes and takes Dosbox with it just as you launch for a mission. This, I think, is a sound problem. If I don't setup my sound during installation, and just start the game, I can play without problems about 50% of the time.
However, once it crashes once, it seems it's done - something gets corrupted, and you have to install it over again.

If someone has an idea of how to fix that, I'm all ears.

Reply 2 of 16, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, the version I downloaded is the one at "the-underdogs" and I ended up using Virtual PC to make images for each disk. The installation went smoothly and I fired it up in DOSBox. I still havent had a chance to test the gameplay so and havent encountered that mission start crash as of yet. If I do happen to have the same problem I will keep u posted on any fixes I may find.

EDIT:

Ok, it seems to start the first mission with no problems at all. Started on the runway and took off without any problems. Didnt play much further than that other to see if it was working. I am currently running the latest CVS of DOSBox and changed the sound configuration to a standard soundblaster at the settings 220h I7. Here is the DOSBOX.CONF I am using.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.zip
    File size
    2.12 KiB
    Downloads
    228 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Underdogs version must be the most faithful available, but sure it is a paain in the a*s to install. I was having the same problems as you mention, and finally installed the whole thing with Virtual PC as well.

Now my problem is with DOSBox, because although the install.exe works the sc.exe crashes instantly. What exact settings do yo use for that game? I mean cycles, mem, etc. While you ask I'll try that attached conf file, but I don't know how to import it from D-Fend.

Reply 4 of 16, by CAT Shannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Couchie: What are other DOS 6.22 emulators? I only know Virtual PC, and that seems to require he installation of DOS 6.22, so it isn´t an emulation in the sense of the word, is it?
By the way, it isn´t that the files at Underdogs are damaged in some way, i´ve got the original disks at home and the same problem occurs, must have something to do with Dosbox.
I´d get the CD Version via e-bay, if i knew it would work, but thats something I´m not quite sure of, either, more to the point, I don´t see the reason of spending money for something I already have.

Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

Reply 5 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With that nick of yours you must be a die-hard Forsyth fan, aren't you, CAT Shannon?

Anyway, you can talk about emulation in Virtual PC because many other emulators (like the Amiga emu WinUAE) require system files (or even the entire OS) to run certain things.

I wouldn't loose the time with the CD version if I were you, because I have it (the talkie version that also includes Tactical Operations) and won't work either.

Reply 6 of 16, by CAT Shannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure am 😀
With that problem, maybe I´ll better get a friend of mine to create a DOS partition on my harddrive and set up a multiboot system, perhaps that solves the problems.

Reply 8 of 16, by CAT Shannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🙄 Just why did Microsoft have to take a working DOS out of WinXP? Well, perhaps so they can sell something like Virtual PC...

Reply 10 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Basic architecture of NT based systems (NT/2000/XP) is completely different from MS DOS or W9x.
In W9x there is a MS DOS hidden below (though Microsoft tries to camuflate it - e.g by removing possibility to boot command line in WME - there is a utility to handle it).
NT based systems just emulate DOS (it is a kind of built-in version of Microsoft's own DOSBOX 😀 😀 😀 - of course not emulating processor, not caring about DOS games and having closer integration with Windows - e.g. enabling to start Win32 application from command line).

Mirek

Reply 11 of 16, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, from what I found out from Fresh UI is that the DOS in Windows XP is correctly an emulation and all it really is there for is to boot up your profile.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 16, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol, I know. I have the Strike Commander CD version and I can say It will work properly in the CVS version.
It has at least for me. I have it on a half/half CD from Gateway that provide both Privateer/Righteous Fire and StrikeCommander/Tatical Operations.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 14 of 16, by CAT Shannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Err, what´s the CVS version? And what´s Gateway? I used to know there was a computer system of that name, a while back.

Reply 15 of 16, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Link to the DOSBox CVS is in my signature. DOSBox CVS is the source code for DOSBox that has been uploaded to a server at sourceforge.net and is made free to people who want to download it and help work with making it better or other stuff. I compile this source code with the latest changes by the Devs so that people can use the latest "beta" version of DOSBox before it is officially released. I also apply "beta" patches by some contributors that want to add other functionality to DOSBox but haven't been approved yet to be merged into the complete source.

So to find out more go to My Pixels Forums

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 16 of 16, by CAT Shannon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, sooner or later (probably later, right 😉 ?) this will be released to the public, but for now it´s "work in progress", did I get that one right? Well, getting the sourcecode would not be of much help for me, I don´t know what to do with that anyways.