VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any difference in image quality between the various manufactures of the original Voodoo 1? Obviously the comparison would be done on the same system with the same pass-thru cable. Has anyone looked into this? I recall reading in the forums that the Voodoo doesn't have the clearest display, but is manufacturer better than the other? Is one worse than the other?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't noticed much difference, all look somewhat blurry. Maybe in some special cases like Canopus or Quantum3D cards, but I have only their V2 variations to judge.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They've all got the same 4x1 filter. It's always going to be blurry. It's not the passthrough cable.

You can turn this filter off by setting SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE to 1.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's crazy sounding, but I used to like to run my Matrox Mystique's 3D acceleration instead of the Voodoo sometimes because of how sharp and crispy it was by comparison. I specifically remember doing that with Jedi Knight.

Reply 5 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try leileilol's comment to set SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE to 1 and compare with the Matrox Mystique?

Reply 8 of 16, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Orchid Righteous 3d has the best quality because it uses mechanical relays for video switching while all the others use solid state relays that will slightly degrade video quality. Other then quality of the pass through cable the other models should be about the same.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

It's crazy sounding, but I used to like to run my Matrox Mystique's 3D acceleration instead of the Voodoo sometimes because of how sharp and crispy it was by comparison. I specifically remember doing that with Jedi Knight.

Some games do look better without any filtering, especially compared to the simple bilinear filtering of the time.
To this day, I enjoy playing Quake 1 more with filtering disabled, despite using modern source-ports.

feipoa wrote:

Did you try leileilol's comment to set SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE to 1 and compare with the Matrox Mystique?

There was a thread here a few years ago with direct captures from elianda, showcasing the filters on and off (there's also the 24bpp one). Don't have a link handy, but it should be pretty easy to find.

Reply 10 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw elianda's thread on this, however, I noticed very little between the screenshots. Perhaps its my monitor.

Reply 11 of 16, by mcobit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an "unbranded" VooDoo 1 card that produces horrible interference even with good passthrough cables on LCD monitors. It's a bit better on CRTs. Mostly two parallel lines of fuzziness in the screen center. If I touch the VGA port those change but never go away completely.
A Diamond Monster VooDoo 1 in the same system doesn't have those problems.