Creating wrappers for older Mac OS X games

Emulation of old Macintoshes, Mac hardware, or Mac peripherals.

Creating wrappers for older Mac OS X games

Postby EldritchNexus » 2018-8-04 @ 11:14

I'm using Snow Leopard, and I'm wondering if there's a way I could place older OS X games like Heretic II or Return to Castle Wolfenstein within their own wrapper, just so that I can play them, along with the other games in their respective series, from one directory without the files getting muddled with those of the other games. I already have DOSBox wrappers for the DOS versions of the other Wolfenstein and Heretic/Hexen games (including the DOS version of the Hammer of Thyrion source port for Hexen II), so I don't need to worry about those. But just for the sake of preference, I would deeply prefer simply placing Heretic II and RTCW in wrappers as well.

Is there a way I can do this, or would that require the source code for those games?
EldritchNexus

Re: Creating wrappers for older Mac OS X games

Postby vladstamate » 2018-8-04 @ 13:28

It is not that simple unfortunately. DOSBox for example is not merely a wrapper but a full fledged 386+ computer emulator. It emulates things like sound cards.

For older Mac games if they are 68k based your best bet is an emulator like a Basilisk II (it works on OSX). For PowerPC games you could be running Rosetta since you have Snow Leopard. You can install it (just search around on the Apple website).
vladstamate
Oldbie

Postby EldritchNexus » 2018-8-04 @ 14:01

Heretic II and RTCW (the copies I have, anyway) are OS X games, not Classic Mac OS. I already have Rosetta and the games run fine. I just want to be able to put the game in a package/wrapper so that I don't have a dozen or so files laying around in one folder/directory. You know, something I could put the files into and then click on the package to play the game? Preferably, something that doesn't take up 200MB of extra space on the hard drive.

There's an Intel patch for RTCW that is essentially a package file so that I can play it, but also open and take stuff in and out of (which the originalfile doesn't allow), though it still forces me to keep the game files outside of it, and in the same directory in order to work. Is there a way I can reconfigure it, whether through the .plist file or otherwise so that it checks a directory inside of the .app file for the files instead of the directory the .app file is in?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rtcw-osx/
EldritchNexus

Postby filipetolhuizen » 2018-8-05 @ 04:31

RTCW runs both on OSX and Mac OS 9.2.2. I played it a lot on my upgraded B&W G3 running under Mac OS 9.2.2.
filipetolhuizen
Oldbie

Postby EldritchNexus » 2018-8-06 @ 02:29

filipetolhuizen wrote:RTCW runs both on OSX and Mac OS 9.2.2. I played it a lot on my upgraded B&W G3 running under Mac OS 9.2.2.

That's good to know, but I just want to know if there's a way that I can run all the files from those games from a package-based file like the games on the Mac App Store. Can this be done or not? If it can, awesome. If it can't, thanks anyway.
EldritchNexus

Return to Macintosh Emulation