VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ermine18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
I'm new here so please bear with me.
I'm trying to get Daggerfall to work on my brothers Window's 10 laptop. I installed the game and it works great when I manually type in the configuration lines.
On my machine (XP Pro) I set up an executable shortcut to do the configuring automatically (using the method in the attachment), so I just double click and the game loads and runs.
When I tried to do this in W10 it seemed to go well but the resulting shortcut just brings up the window asking which program I want to use to open the file. Both my brother and I double checked it and we're sure there are no errors made in the process.
Can this not be done in W10? Or maybe something different?
Or is there another way to make a clickable file that will run the game?

Thanks

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole... "making an exe" is complete bunk. All it is is a shortcut named Daggerfall.exe" It is NOT an exe.

In any case, it sounds like something in the ancient release of DOSBOX is not playing nice with Windows 10 when loading conf files.

Can you try changing the shortcut to run in compatibility mode for XP?

Barring that, you could also try an up-to-date DOSBOX compiled from the SVN source.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If those are the Bethesda instructions I'd ignore them. There is a DOSBox integrated Daggerfall install out there but I won't link to it for obvious reasons. Ask on the Bethesda forum.

DOSBox 0.74 works fine in Windows 10.
If the game works when you type everything in but doesn't when you don't then you've made a mistake somewhere. Review your configs and shortcuts between XP and 7.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by Ermine18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies,
I realize that it's not really an exe., I just didn't know what else to call it. We are both using DOSbox 0.74 so I don't think that's an issue as the game runs fine when configured manually.
It's more like W10 doesn't recognize it as a shortcut, maybe something in the target line?
I have no idea what "an up-to-date DOSBOX compiled from the SVN source" is, nor how to set compatibility mode for a shortcut.
Checking the Bethesda forum now but not having much luck, I'll keep looking, I know there's an answer out there somewhere just a matter of asking the right question.
Thanks

Reply 4 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Can you try changing the shortcut to run in compatibility mode for XP?

All that would do is to set compatibility for the EXE it is pointing to. If that shortcut is to DOSBox you don't want to do that.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers