VOGONS

486 and hard drive size limit.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went through my old hard drives and I think I will take the chance since the motherboard isn't that expensive. I have no idea if any of the hard drives will work, but I think there is a decent chance. I found one Fujitsu 2.62Gb hard drive that looks bit beaten up, I found one 40Gb hard drive that has a jumper that will limit the size to 2.1Gb and I found one 80Gb hard drive that has a jumper that will limit size to 32Gb.

Reply 21 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Again, if you have any Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, or IBM drives, they can all be set to appear as an arbitrary size drive. My 386 now has a 60 GB Spinpoint IDE drive limited at 1032192 sectors (the 528 MB limit). Either download the Hitachi or Seagate drive tool or download Hiren's (as it has all most of the drive vendor's tools).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Again, if you have any Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, or IBM drives, they can all be set to appear as an arbitrary size drive. My 386 now has a 60 GB Spinpoint IDE drive limited at 1032192 sectors (the 528 MB limit). Either download the Hitachi or Seagate drive tool or download Hiren's (as it has all most of the drive vendor's tools).

Sorry about that. I must have missed your previous message.

Reply 23 of 30, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if there are such BIOS newer revisions for 486 BIOSes too, as there are for Pentiums?

OR done that without swapping or upgrading the bios firmware?
Thus, to make a some sort of universal patch for such a BIOS with extra ROM with HDD handling routine code or something? (I mean the overdrive soft in hardware).
?

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 24 of 30, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jxalex wrote:
I wonder if there are such BIOS newer revisions for 486 BIOSes too, as there are for Pentiums? […]
Show full quote

I wonder if there are such BIOS newer revisions for 486 BIOSes too, as there are for Pentiums?

OR done that without swapping or upgrading the bios firmware?
Thus, to make a some sort of universal patch for such a BIOS with extra ROM with HDD handling routine code or something? (I mean the overdrive soft in hardware).
?

We call it XT-IDE 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 25 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Sorry about that. I must have missed your previous message.

NP. I had a bad time with hardware mortality scrounging around for period IDE drives for this 386 board; soft limiting drives instead has really saved a lot of grief. I suspect that you'll have a similar experience if you give it a go.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 27 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went and got the motherboard today. It almost looks like it is brand new. This is the smallest and cleanest such old motherboard I have ever seen. I hope it will work. and I will see what kind of hard drives it likes.

486 motherboard.jpg
Filename
486 motherboard.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29 of 30, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds right. Also, I'd suggest using the XT-IDE Universal BIOS on either an Ethernet card with the Boot ROM ((E)EPROM 8KB, 16KB, or 32KB) enabled since that'll allow you to use the HDD as the full storage (make sure you disable the auto detect for MS-DOS unless you want to use Windows 95 or 98/98SE on your machine) over the DDO (Dynamic Disk Overlay) software as that hogs a lot of the conventional memory, and the XT-IDE Universal BIOS only takes 1KB conventional memory out of the 640KB, which is better.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 30 of 30, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what pushed me over to CF to IDE converters. finding < 8GB CF cards is much easier then actual HDD's
but if the currant drive is working fine I would stick with that for now, 8GB is plenty for a 486