VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I almost had the front panel off this dimension v350, but one of the tabs...well...

(not sure why this one displays upside down but full size is OK)

IMG_0099 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0099 (Large).JPG
File size
210.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

beyond this I don't even know how to get the rest off. I need the other side panel free to I can remove the DVD drive to look at it, and maybe put a temp replacement in. I'm about 3 seconds away from hulking out on the damaged tab.... this thing is put together WEIRD. I thought Packard Bell cases were nuts but this is an entirely new level of dumb.

I think its all one piece that somehow locks / unlocks into place

IMG_0100 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0100 (Large).JPG
File size
344.1 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0101 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0101 (Large).JPG
File size
271.65 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the same deal as the Dimension XPS, you need to remove both side panels, the top panel, and the bottom panel before you can remove the front panel, most likely.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 27, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah that's the thing. I don't even know how to get the others off. The front panel itself came free except for the one clip that was damaged by whatever tool that idiot used. I'm thinking of just snapping it idk..

But the other side panel leaves no clue as to how it comes off to be honest.

Reply 23 of 27, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I somehow lost the thread what finally you are going to upgrade.
But I found a webpage about upgrading a CPU in Dell Dimension V-series:
https://www.roberthancock.com/dell/dellvproc.htm

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 24 of 27, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I've seen that page before, kind of gave me the idea to look for a slocket.

I'll likely give the slocket a try when it gets here, though I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Might go for either a socket 370 or LGA775 build, in the end. I actually had a core 2 duo machine at one point, not sure what I did with it...🤣 prolly threw it out or something 🙁

Reply 25 of 27, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to get the side panel off and the front panel... time to get this drive out and see what kind of disaster awaits me inside it.

gnarly looking panel hooks ...

IMG_0104 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0104 (Large).JPG
File size
307.99 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0105 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0105 (Large).JPG
File size
183.31 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0107 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0107 (Large).JPG
File size
211.02 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 26 of 27, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have got the DVD-ROM operational...

I think the disc tray motor may have bad bearings or be on its way out, I'm not sure??

it makes a Brrrrrrrrr type noise that could be bearings, and the sound is being amplified through the plastic of the planetary gears?
When I opened the drive up, I was hunting for a loose piece which I actually forgot about when I got distracted taking the drive apart, disconnecting micro-ribbon cables and shit I actually didn't need to. I found the white small gear after a bit and kicked myself for even risking damage with the small ribbon cables, etc.. turned it over and took a look and sure enough this thing appeared to fit over a drive shaft by gears that controlled the drive tray.

These gears when spun freely do NOT make any noise. only when the white gear was added back in, did the tray make noise opening and closing. I also had to plug it in and power it on to use the eject control just to be safe because I did not like the level of force required to move the tray. If you have the tray out, and spin the shaft/gear it kind of feels like it catches then frees up again. so I am suspecting a bad motor / bearings.

but for now I think I can have it working.

IMG_0110 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0110 (Large).JPG
File size
208.96 KiB
Views
File comment
gearz
File license
2018-10-24 20_41_53-JRiver Media Center 24.png
Filename
2018-10-24 20_41_53-JRiver Media Center 24.png
File size
852.25 KiB
Views
File comment
windoze boot cd
File license

Reply 27 of 27, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I'm going to bed demoralized lmao

After all that worked, I ran windows98 autopatcher to install all the hotfixes and shit. Well that made my internet /www shit the bed (not the connection itself just most sites except microsoft ones) and I forgot what I did to fix that in my windows98 VM.... I thought maybe I needed to reinstall the network adapter/drivers, etc.

Well I pop open the DVD drive because it asks for windows 98 CD.....that is to say I tried to pop it open again. and the damn thing is broke again. Something is happening with those gears to make that white piece vibrate SO badly it pops up and off the motor shaft.......🤣