Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here).

Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby 3371-Alpha » 2018-12-03 @ 21:14

Does anyone know of a tool that can compare the contents of two directories and show the differences, if any, of similarly named files. I doesn't need it to tell me the exact differences of the similarly named files, hex editor can do that once I know which files. Also before anyone asks, I'm planning on using this tool to compare two separate versions of a dos game, before and after update which files changed.
3371-Alpha
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2017-6-02 @ 22:09

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby Dominus » 2018-12-03 @ 21:15

I think Total Commander does a good job at that and gives you the easy tools right away
User avatar
Dominus
DOSBox Moderator
 
Posts: 7866
Joined: 2002-10-03 @ 09:54
Location: Ludwigsburg

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby 3371-Alpha » 2018-12-14 @ 05:05

Tried it, only seams to be able to compare if one directory has files the other one doesn't. Maybe I should clarify, the game I'm studying, both versions have exactly the same files with same names. I want to find which of said files changed in the update. I could compare each file with the same name one by on in a hex editor if only there weren't 164 items I need to do so with.
3371-Alpha
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2017-6-02 @ 22:09

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby eL_PuSHeR » 2018-12-14 @ 07:15

Synchronize directories on TC has got an option for binary comparing files (content).
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)
User avatar
eL_PuSHeR
Moderator
 
Posts: 6528
Joined: 2003-6-20 @ 16:39

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby tayyare » 2018-12-14 @ 10:17

3371-Alpha wrote:Tried it, only seams to be able to compare if one directory has files the other one doesn't. Maybe I should clarify, the game I'm studying, both versions have exactly the same files with same names. I want to find which of said files changed in the update. I could compare each file with the same name one by on in a hex editor if only there weren't 164 items I need to do so with.


Not very practical but:

dir > blah1.txt
dir > blah2.txt

Import blah1 and blah2 into excel. Put your required formulas and conditional formating in place.

This is what I do :blush:
GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000
User avatar
tayyare
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: 2013-2-18 @ 18:54
Location: Turkey

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby root42 » 2018-12-14 @ 10:23

Beyond Compare. Commercial / Shareware. You need to spend 60 USD for the full version. Free trial is possible.

https://www.scootersoftware.com

I am all for open source, but a lot of colleagues swear on this piece of software. So you might want to give it a try.
Soldering, retro game reviews and more on YouTube and Bonus videos
Me playing games on my 286 and on my Sega MD2 on Twitch
80386DX@25 MHz, 8 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, schlae AdLib, PC MIDI Card + SC55MkII, XT CF Lite, OSSC 1.6
User avatar
root42
Oldbie
 
Posts: 983
Joined: 2018-1-27 @ 13:23

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby Stretch » 2018-12-15 @ 02:02

A free windows tool that can compare 2 folders is WinMerge.
PC1: Win98SE - Via Apollo Pro Mobo - Pentium II 233 - 256 MB - Voodoo 3 1000 - Soundblaster 32
PC2: Win98SE - ASRock 775i65G R3.0 - Celeron 2.2 GHz - 2048 MB - Geforce FX5700 - Vortex 2 - SBLive SB0100 - YMF744
Stretch
Member
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 2013-11-16 @ 00:57

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby Calvero » 2018-12-16 @ 20:27

I would zip both directories and compare CRC values with 7-zip.
Calvero
Member
 
Posts: 123
Joined: 2007-8-02 @ 13:30

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby Tetrium » 2018-12-17 @ 00:35

Dominus wrote:I think Total Commander does a good job at that and gives you the easy tools right away


eL_PuSHeR wrote:Synchronize directories on TC has got an option for binary comparing files (content).


tayyare wrote:
3371-Alpha wrote:Tried it, only seams to be able to compare if one directory has files the other one doesn't. Maybe I should clarify, the game I'm studying, both versions have exactly the same files with same names. I want to find which of said files changed in the update. I could compare each file with the same name one by on in a hex editor if only there weren't 164 items I need to do so with.


Not very practical but:

dir > blah1.txt
dir > blah2.txt

Import blah1 and blah2 into excel. Put your required formulas and conditional formating in place.

This is what I do :blush:

This is what I do as well. Worked for years now :)
User avatar
Tetrium
l33t++
 
Posts: 7713
Joined: 2010-1-27 @ 18:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby 3371-Alpha » 2018-12-23 @ 21:52

eL_PuSHeR wrote:Synchronize directories on TC has got an option for binary comparing files (content).

Really? Documentation only mentions comparing two file at a time (Same a hex editor).
root42 wrote:Beyond Compare. Commercial / Shareware. You need to spend 60 USD for the full version. Free trial is possible.

https://www.scootersoftware.com

I am all for open source, but a lot of colleagues swear on this piece of software. So you might want to give it a try.

Will look into it thank you.
tayyare wrote:Not very practical but:

dir > blah1.txt
dir > blah2.txt

Import blah1 and blah2 into excel. Put your required formulas and conditional formating in place.

This is what I do :blush:

Probably what I'll do if all else fails.
3371-Alpha
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2017-6-02 @ 22:09

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby xjas » 2018-12-23 @ 21:59

FreeFileSync can compare a whole directory structure including subdirectories, and can find differences in files by size or content (probably using diff as a backend.)
User avatar
xjas
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: 2015-9-07 @ 02:29

Re: Tool to compare two alike directories and find file differences

Postby 3371-Alpha » 2018-12-24 @ 04:23

xjas wrote:FreeFileSync can compare a whole directory structure including subdirectories, and can find differences in files by size or content (probably using diff as a backend.)

Thanks, worked like a charm!

I suppose I'll tell you guys now what I'm doing. I recently got back into Interplay's ol' M.A.X. As it just so happens though, there's an unofficial Russian-made patch for the game called 1.56. The problem? 1.56 is an abandonware distribution with the full game included, similar the what System Shock Portable once was. I've spent since last year sifting through the files in an attempt at making a legal version of 1.56, of which I've uploaded here. Thanks to you though I've been able to confirm my suspicions; in addition to the uploaded files, all the DESCR*.* files, the FONT5 file, MAX.RES and setup.exe are different in the 1.56 version.
3371-Alpha
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2017-6-02 @ 22:09


Return to DOS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Galerysoro and 0 guests