VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can Audigy 2 zs joystick port header be used for midi and joystick in dos?
Basically I am just asking if it responds to standars joystick port/midi addresses.

Reply 1 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it doesnt, out of the box, as it is a PCI card. There do however exist drivers for DOS that make the Gameport/MIDI portion available on standard address, iirc. The DOS driver for the Audigy 1 was also able to make the sound blaster portion compatible (to a degree at least), with regards to the 2ZS, I can't remember.

Reply 2 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, the Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro at least actually has an onboard joystick breakout connector, and the MIDI connectors on the breakout box. While it is possible that only the Platinum Pro version actually detaches the MIDI part from the gameport connector, as it is solely for Joysticks in this case, as the MIDI connector are on the breakout box. The Audigy 2 ZS main line of cards, iirc still have those two combined.

Reply 3 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any idea where I can get the driver that would make midi port work in dos?
I don't care about rest of the card working in dos, because the idea would be to use it next to an old sound blaster card that doesn't have midi in the joystick port and disable the joystick port in sound blaster with a jumper.
My audigy is SB0350 model.

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe with the standard dos drivers as in theory emulating the midi port would be part of emulating a SB16. If they actually bothered when writing the driver is another question though
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 383&menustate=0

I WOULD think it works just fine if playing the dos game from within windows though

Reply 5 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

Maybe with the standard dos drivers as in theory emulating the midi port would be part of emulating a SB16. If they actually bothered when writing the driver is another question though

I WOULD think it works just fine if playing the dos game from within windows though

Winrar says that archive is either unknown format or damaged.

Reply 6 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Winrar says that archive is either unknown format or damaged.

No problems here with either current WinRAR or 7zip, try again.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Yeah. 7zip opened the file, but my old winrar 4.00 does not like it.

I would not say VOGONSDrivers is under any obligation to ensure the files uploaded are compatible with older utilities. WinRAR 4.00 is over seven years old. Make sure you have newer utilities available when downloading.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Baoran wrote:

Yeah. 7zip opened the file, but my old winrar 4.00 does not like it.

I would not say VOGONSDrivers is under any obligation to ensure the files uploaded are compatible with older utilities. WinRAR 4.00 is over seven years old. Make sure you have newer utilities available when downloading.

I am sure there are no obligations. I just didn't know rar format had changed, because this is first file ever that I have downloaded that it didn't open.