Help with installing early Windows versions in DOSBox

General information and assistance with DOSBox.

Help with installing early Windows versions in DOSBox

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-1-13 @ 13:55

Hello. New member here, but have been a DOSBox user for quite a while now.
Anyway, I'm having a little problem in this program, I can't really install DOS-based Windows versions in it (Windows 1.0, 2.x, and 3.x). Well, I can, but it just says that the directory I entered in the Z:> drive doesn't exist.

It says something like this:
Z:\>mount c c:\DISK1-SETUP.img
Directory C:\DISK1-SETUP.img doesn't exist

I try again after renaming the IMG files (floppy disk images) for Windows 1.0, it just does the same thing,
Z:/>mount c c:\DISK1.img
Directory C:\DISK1.img doesn't exist

I was wondering if the reason for this is because of DOSBox's environment variable Z:>, because I do know that software/operating systems that come on floppy disk require the A:> variable, which means I might have to reassign the variable from Z:> to A:> in DOSBox, or if I have to do something different. So am I doing something wrong or what?
JonathonWyble

Re: Help with installing early Windows versions in DOSBox

Postby keenmaster486 » 2019-1-13 @ 14:10

It’s because you’re trying to mount a disk image instead of a folder (MOUNT mounts folders as virtual drives); you need to extract the images to a folder using 7-zip and mount that, or specifically mount them as disk images (there’s a way to do that, command line switch or something but I can’t remember. Might be IMGMOUNT. Check the DOSBox manual.) Also, make a folder as your virtual DOS “C” drive somewhere on your actual C drive (e.g. C:\DOSBox_C_Drive or something) and mount that as C. Mount the disk images as drive A, or just have that folder that you extracted somewhere on your virtual C drive folder.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.

http://classictechnology.herokuapp.com
http://keenmaster486.github.io
IBM Thinkpad 600E, 560X, 365CD
keenmaster486
Oldbie

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-1-13 @ 14:38

keenmaster486 wrote:It’s because you’re trying to mount a disk image instead of a folder (MOUNT mounts folders as virtual drives); you need to extract the images to a folder using 7-zip and mount that, or specifically mount them as disk images (there’s a way to do that, command line switch or something but I can’t remember. Might be IMGMOUNT. Check the DOSBox manual.) Also, make a folder as your virtual DOS “C” drive somewhere on your actual C drive (e.g. C:\DOSBox_C_Drive or something) and mount that as C. Mount the disk images as drive A, or just have that folder that you extracted somewhere on your virtual C drive folder.

I did extract the floppy disks for Windows 1.0, but I think it says to mount a floppy disk in DOSBox and then type the "mount C:\" command, according to the DOSBox manual/guide. I might have heard of this "Imgmount" feature, but I probably forgot about that. And I probably didn't mount the disks, because I couldn't seem to find the "Mount" option in DOSBox. Am I using the correct variable (Z:>), or do I have to change it to A:>?
JonathonWyble

Postby Dominus » 2019-1-13 @ 15:09

For an image use imgmount, for a folder use mount. Reade the documentation
Dominus
DOSBox Moderator

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-1-13 @ 15:17

Dominus wrote:For an image use imgmount, for a folder use mount. Reade the documentation

I read the documentation, and I kind of get it now. The first post (by keenmaster486) helped a bit. :happy:
JonathonWyble

Postby Dominus » 2019-1-13 @ 15:21

Then good luck ;)
But mind that Dosbox isn't aimed at running Windows. The only Windows version that is running great is Windows 3.x (see my guide to installing that in my signature). Windows 1 or 2 used to have problems and still might. And later Windows than 3.x are not running satisfyingly at all.
Dominus
DOSBox Moderator

Postby Tricia McMillan » 2019-7-21 @ 13:38

Dominus wrote:... Windows 1 or 2 used to have problems and still might...

Obsolete info is better than no info:

Win 1 and 2 run perfect in DOSBox, if you know the trick:
Win gets confused with higher DOS-Versions (=5.0), that's why it crashes. To solve this:

In .conf [autoexec] set the reported DOS-Version to: ver set 3 36
In [cpu] use core=simple and cputype=386_slow

That's all.
I'm lking fr sme sftware that extracts the ""-buttn f my keybard frm the dustbag f my vacuum-cleaner...
Tricia McMillan

Return to DOSBox General