VOGONS

Common searches

IconDos (DosBox Frontend)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by shimpi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to submit for the public's consideration, a graphical front-end for DOS (and DosBox) called IconDos.

It's an old program by a company called EFD Systems in Gainesville Georgia. The only reason I know about it is because I used it back in my 286 days during the very early 90's. This version appears to be the latest version I could find.

I'm aware there are many DOS menu programs out there, of text and graphical nature. I'm also fond of MagicShell and Costa, which brings "Windows 3.1"-ish GUI just as well. However I wanted to mention this program as well just for awareness and introduce its features.

It's coded in Assembler and requires very little memory.
Like MagicShell, you can create your own icons.
It also comes with a library of pre-made icons.
It also comes with pre-made tiles (or you can make your own tiles), which is used as wall paper.
Built-in, it has a calculator, calendar which can be used as a PIM, and a LaunchPad interface so you can configure each icon with specific commands via bat.files, and a couple of games.

Not sure if I should attach the zip file here, for risk accountability reasons. It was very hard for me to find. There is no website that has it freely available (like Archive.com, simtel or frostbytes). I found it in a very obscure and old repository that requires a client to be downloaded and installed to access the files there-in. If a moderator can point me in the right direction so I can share it with everyone, I would really appreciate it.