VOGONS

Common searches

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned rat

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 65, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I cannot give specific help. On my XP Pro SP2 system using slowdown program 'Speedswitch XP', I can get Horned Rat working fine in XP. It installed and played without any specific work at all. I say this so you know that this game will run on XP and that each of us may have to approach it in a slightly different way to get it to work. I have a dual core 5600 with 2gb ram and a 8600GT card running 178 drivers (the latest I believe. One thing that may help me is I use my Realtek onboard sound as it has SB16 emulation.

Reply 42 of 65, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, all I can say is that I made a mistake. My realtek onboard sound seems to only do soundblaster sound emulation, not soundblaster 16. But I don't know whether the original realtek sounds or the emulation sounds were being used by the game.

Reply 43 of 65, by Rawisericho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

John, is there a better way to contact you, perhaps over email to try to sort this out? It's my favorite game and I haven't played it in six years, do you think we could figure something out?

Reply 44 of 65, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, there is a personal messaging system (PM) that you could use and I could reply to. So fire away with any question, although I don't think people here would mind if it was in public, as it might help others.

Reply 45 of 65, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawisericho wrote:

John, is there a better way to contact you, perhaps over email to try to sort this out? It's my favorite game and I haven't played it in six years, do you think we could figure something out?

Here's an installer that helped me install and play the game on my XP Pro SP3 PC. It's not mine, I just found it on a website.

Attachments

• Filename
    whshr.rar
    File size
    987 Bytes
    Downloads
    1115 downloads
    File comment
    Just un-rar it to anywhere and run it. It's self explanatory.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 46 of 65, by Guito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys, with all your information I've got this game working properly, many thanks. I'm gonna tell you all I did so it ran.

download this: download.php?id=5697
and this: http://ibboard.co.uk/Linux/SOTHR_Reg.zip

1)Copy RMORPH folder contents to your windows\system32 folder.
2)copy the contents of <CD-ROM>\WING to C:\Windows\System32\ as well
3)Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
4)Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
5)Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
6)Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
7)Copy only files (not the folders!) from <your CD_ROM>\WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
8)Run the included file SOTHR.reg to register required dlls.

9) then use the .bat in the same folder you copied WARFB
10) then do again point 7
11)In your WARFB folder set for game executable compatibility option "Run in 256-color mode".
12)Run the game. If you want windowed mode, ALT-TAB from it and then select it from taskbar, it should stay windowed.
13) if there's anyproblem do point 8

profit

Maybe there are some errors, if you have any pm me, 'cause I don't use this web and I will not be able to see them (I'll set I get messaged if someone pm me).

Regards,

Guito.

Reply 47 of 65, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this for Linux rather than Windows? Given that there is a linux folder listed in one link? In any event, thanks for taking the time to register and let us know how you gotthe game working - total kudos for you M8!!

Reply 49 of 65, by Byybel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did everything in Guidos post, but I still have one problem. None of the games text appear when I start it, such as the descriptions of the different options or the text on the bestiary. Everything else works just fine. Does anyone know how to fix this, any help would be welcome.

Reply 50 of 65, by Arneal79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I have followed all the instructions from the main forum regarding this game. My problem is quite simple, but have not found any link for a download. I know the only problem that I have, is that my A1.SI file, for whatever reason, has become corrupt and wont copy from my disk. I know that if I could get a complete A1.SI file (12.6 MB), this game would run perfectly. Does anyone have this complete file that I can have?

Thank You,

Loren

Reply 52 of 65, by Arneal79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the actual CD, but the file is corrupt, as i clearly stated. You don't have to post it in the main forum, but I need that file in order for the game to work. If anyone can assist me, please let me know.

Thank You,

Loren

Reply 55 of 65, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my batch script (that UK_John attached to this thread)
might work IF you run it in the 32-bit command prompt
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe

I'll be getting a computer with Win7 x64 sometime this week...
so I'll be able to research this.

I'm assuming it is just a problem with "virtualization/redirection"
HKLM\Software to HKLM\Software\WOW6432node
%windir%\system32 to %windir%\sysWOW64

( **that batch script expects you to have the actual CD )

Reply 56 of 65, by Arneal79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked into Speedswitch XP, but I have Windows 7 and tried running it. Gave me an error message: Profile Creation Failed. RC:-4; Code50 (The request is not supported.) I am assuming that is the program you were referring too, right?

Reply 58 of 65, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tested it and it works on Win7 x64
here is how ->

Extract the batch file to someplace easy to find (like to C:\ )
Open the start menu
in the "search programs and files" field, type:
%windir%\sysWOW64\cmd.exe (but don't press enter)
right-click on the now shown cmd.exe and select "run as admininistrator"
at the command prompt type C:\whshr.bat (assuming the batch file is at "C:\whshr.bat" )

once installed
right-click on whshr.exe and select properties
set compatibility mode to "windows 95"
set the 256-colors
set 640x480 resolution
( those compatibility settings could be set by the batch file if I ever update it )

I've ported the "fixed" color and animated cursors from Dark Omen to SOTHR if your interested see http://www.aqrit.cjb.net
(edit: cursor colors turn out garbled on Win7 x64 but it works on Win7 x86)

http://en.dark-omen.org/ is an active fan-site for pretty much anything from the Warhammer Universe Strategy Collection

have fun

Reply 59 of 65, by testownik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive installed WSHR on Windows 7 x64, installed by batch file, copied .dll - and the game is working almost correctly. Almost, because in-game everything is doing good, every picture, animation, except... battle view. Ive got map (that in right-top corner), units control panel, units information panel, but the battle scene window is simply whole black. I cannot see fight. However, it IS possible to play like this, though, but, err...
Does anyone know what should I do? Is it hardware [notebook, dell inspiron N5110] or software problem? Reinstall would solve the problem?