VOGONS

Reply 20 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-06, 17:34:

For that price and from China, I would not expect to get a real Cyrix 5x86. The pictures look fishy already, with odd horizontal scratch lines and the text "5x86-100GP" being wavy.

What would it be then?

There were different printing styles for those CPUs. The scratches could be from whatever heatsink was used on it.

That printing style looks the same as one of the Cyrix 5x86 120 CPUs I have.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 42, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The horizontal scratch lines are only right from the "Cyrix 5x86" text, which makes at least me think that something was changed in that area (sanded and reprinted).

Also, the "5x86-100GP" is not straight. It moves up the more it gets to the right side, which it should not on a legit CPU.

It could be anything. My bet is an -80 instead of an -100. But who knows... If you need another indication for something fishy: look at his feedback. All transactions he made so far were private with dozens of repeating feedback text, most likely built up using fake accounts. Or maybe I'm just too paranoid after being an ebay member for 21 years now.

Reply 22 of 42, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-06, 20:18:

It could be anything. My bet is an -80 instead of an -100. But who knows... If you need another indication for something fishy: look at his feedback. All transactions he made so far were private with dozens of repeating feedback text, most likely built up using fake accounts. Or maybe I'm just too paranoid after being an ebay member for 21 years now.

If it was -GP80 then it would be far more collectible than ordinary -GP100 😀

IMHO this is a low risk. Top rated seller (quite hard to maintain that and be scammer), solid feedback good pictures, some really great stuff offered. Likely a collector. If it turn not working eBay should get you covered.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 23 of 42, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Top rated seller"? Did you read what I wrote about this? Also: He has NO feedback as a seller at all in the last 12 months! One of the problems with ebay's rating system - it does not distinguish where the feedback is coming from. If you have 100%, then you have 100% - no matter if you buy or sell.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 42, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clearly we are looking at different sellers. The one I see has 587 seller feedbacks in last year. You won't get top rated seller badge without sales. Anyway, that's it from me as eBay listings are not particularly welcome here AFAIK 😉

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 25 of 42, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok, let's imagine that my SBC is not adequate. If I wanted to get a Computer (branded, I prefer IBM) to be able to use my 486-class CPUs (I have almost all of them except the Cyrix) which model do you want to look for?

this, for example, is gorgeous visually and also mounts the PODs, but it has the defect of supplying the CPUs only with 5V power and not 3.3V. Plus maybe some BIOS incompatibilities:

https://ebay.us/dRtBOQ

Reply 26 of 42, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For that price and from China, I would not expect to get a real Cyrix 5x86. The pictures look fishy already, with odd horizontal scratch lines and the text "5x86-100GP" being wavy.

my two pieces look exactly same and both are real CX5x86 and both operate up to 120Mhz without issues.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 28 of 42, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-06, 21:06:

this, for example, is gorgeous visually and also mounts the PODs, but it has the defect of supplying the CPUs only with 5V power and not 3.3V.

If you want to use the POD, you don't need to care about 3.3V, as the POD runs with 5V.

Reply 29 of 42, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-06, 21:31:
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-06, 21:06:

this, for example, is gorgeous visually and also mounts the PODs, but it has the defect of supplying the CPUs only with 5V power and not 3.3V.

If you want to use the POD, you don't need to care about 3.3V, as the POD runs with 5V.

i want to use and test and experiment all my cpu, from sx20 to pod to p75 160mhz... need 5v and 3,3v (my sbc allow 3 different voltage around 3,3v for example), and i like if it is a branded one.

Reply 30 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you wanted to stay with a SBC type setup, you could always look for a 486 SBC with ISA and PCI. I finally snagged one for a good price a while ago. A few different ones were made. If you look on eBay for sbc-490, an expensive one will pop up.

The one I bought was an Advantech PCA-6149.
There is one on eBay right now, but with shipping it is over double of what I paid. (I paid $60 plus maybe some shipping). Maybe shipping is cheaper for you though.

The max number of PCI slots that is supposed to work with these is 4, so I also grabbed a backplane with 4 PCI slots and the rest ISA.

It supports everything from 486SX up to POD83. Unsure if it will work with Cyrix 5x86. It does officially support the AMD 5x86.
See here for the manual:
http://support.elmark.com.pl/advantech/pdf/PCA-6149man.pdf

It is probably the best 486 SBC you can get. It has Tseng ET4000/W32 connected through PCI for the video and VLB IDE.

So yeah, it is a pretty sweet board.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31 of 42, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-06, 22:06:

i want to use and test and experiment all my cpu, from sx20 to pod to p75 160mhz... need 5v and 3,3v (my sbc allow 3 different voltage around 3,3v for example), and i like if it is a branded one.

Then forget OEM designs and get a decent generic later 486 motherboard - much less hassle, more tuning options, less integrated components, etc.

IMHO even if insisting on OEM systems. In that era the IBM was much less relevant than it once was. I'd look at Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 32 of 42, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In that case they've done their best with the bottom, because that checks out perfectly (compare to this):

cyrix_5x86_100gp_heatsink.jpg
Filename
cyrix_5x86_100gp_heatsink.jpg
File size
34.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Those horizontal scratch lines look suspiciously like what you get if you slide a heatsink without thermal grease off horizontally, and not at all like a bad print job. Usually fakes are too smooth...

Tbh, the price of these things isn't high enough and the volumes are too small to make the risks of counterfeiting worthwhile. I'd be pretty certain this is the real deal. Whether it actually works is another matter, but given there's an eBay guarantee it's a risk worth taking.

I certainly hope I'm right as I ordered a TI 486SXL2-66 from the same seller yesterday 😜

Reply 33 of 42, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine looks the same. Just the logo and model designation. But frankly I have no idea whether it started its life with the green heatsink or not.

DSC_5090.jpeg
Filename
DSC_5090.jpeg
File size
157.13 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34 of 42, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought the lack of info on the top was weird, but after reading more replies here I guess it's how they were. I have a Cx 486DX2 and a 6x86 and they both state all kinds of stuff (voltage, bus speed, multiplier, etc.) on top of the chip. Were these all sold with the heatsink pre-attached?

I bought a K6-2+ from that same seller and it was legit and works perfectly. The (positive) feedback I left is on page 3, but YMMV. I know others on here have bought from them too...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 35 of 42, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-06, 22:11:
If you wanted to stay with a SBC type setup, you could always look for a 486 SBC with ISA and PCI. I finally snagged one for a g […]
Show full quote

If you wanted to stay with a SBC type setup, you could always look for a 486 SBC with ISA and PCI. I finally snagged one for a good price a while ago. A few different ones were made. If you look on eBay for sbc-490, an expensive one will pop up.

The one I bought was an Advantech PCA-6149.
There is one on eBay right now, but with shipping it is over double of what I paid. (I paid $60 plus maybe some shipping). Maybe shipping is cheaper for you though.

The max number of PCI slots that is supposed to work with these is 4, so I also grabbed a backplane with 4 PCI slots and the rest ISA.

It supports everything from 486SX up to POD83. Unsure if it will work with Cyrix 5x86. It does officially support the AMD 5x86.
See here for the manual:
http://support.elmark.com.pl/advantech/pdf/PCA-6149man.pdf

It is probably the best 486 SBC you can get. It has Tseng ET4000/W32 connected through PCI for the video and VLB IDE.

So yeah, it is a pretty sweet board.

wow! very nice card!!!

AMD 5x86 settings are on manual, it support it, but cyrix is not present...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 42, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-01-07, 13:47:

I see the terrible dallas...

If it dies, you can either mod it yourself, get a replacement Dallas chip, or get a replacement that uses a coin cell battery such as the one glitchworks sells:
https://www.tindie.com/products/glitchwrks/gw … acement-module/

Look here for some pics I posted of the PCA-6149 I bought:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39 of 42, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tnks for the info, i love sbc, there is something fascinating...

some question:

1)what bus frequencies have you discovered that it supports besides the documented?

2)have you changed the dallas chip?

3)allows you to boot from cd-rom?