VOGONS

Reply 40 of 41, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-27, 11:50:
Having gone to school and worked in Silicon Valley in all my years I have only seen IBM OS2 used in one type of computer and it […]
Show full quote

Having gone to school and worked in Silicon Valley in all my years I have only seen IBM OS2 used in one type of computer and it actually was not a personnel computer but a special machine.

I never saw IBM OS2 being sold on personal computers or being used by anyone.
Most people in Silicon Valley used MS-Windows, Macs, Linux or Unix computers.

So, Yes you are building a special computer because not many people have used an OS2 computer.

What is the best Hardware that is compatible with OS2 out of the box ?

I used Warp 3 as my main OS between early 1995 and late 1997, it was an amazing experience. I don't know where else it was used widely but for academia and early internet users Warp was a godsend.

For Warp (I can't vouch for earlier versions) pretty much any ISA sound cards, most PCI sound cards and all PCI video cards will work with updated ALSA and SNAP drivers. This requires installing fixpacks, however. If you want out of the box support, for Warp 3 try to stick close to 486 (1991-1994) hardware and for Warp 4 stick to early Pentium (1993-1995) hardware.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 41, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote on 2020-04-27, 10:50:
Ah, Quake, I HATE that damn game, brown dull muddy look, uninspired level design and spawned all the mindless FPS games that we […]
Show full quote

Ah, Quake, I HATE that damn game, brown dull muddy look, uninspired level design and spawned all the mindless FPS games that we are afflicted with today with the advent of it's 3D poly graphics in the FPS world.
It's weird, I am a huge fan of Lovecraft's work and the "Cthulhu mythos"that apparently inspired this game, but when I have played it, I see nothing of his influence beyond the names of some of the protagonists, none of the depth or feel is there at all of what is there of Lovecraft is horribly misused and butchered beyond all recognition in my eyes.
I recall being really interested in the game before release and then playing was a total disappointment, I honestly think this game is a joyless experience and only holds it's place today as a constant "benchmark" title because the FPS counting was built into the game so it's a quick easy way to show a PC's "POWAR".
I also think it's a tragedy that some of the most useful CPU's of the era, the Cyrix 6x86 and to a lesser extent the IDT Winchip & RiSE MP6 were blacklisted because of this game on websites, magazines and forum's of the era as being "inferior" because of Quake FPS scores in their benchmarks, it's was highly tuned Intel Pentium code and works poorly on any other platform, what do you expect?
I really do think it's a shame, those reports and reviews relied on quake as a "benchmark" and because of that it tainted the other CPU designs, this followed in a lack of sales and the eventual collapse of many of them. I believe we lost out on a lot of innovation and progress when we lost the likes of Cyrix and RiSE and Quake had a large hand in that along with press of the time using it as the "example" frankly because it was easy. Didn't matter that the Cyrix was faster at pretty much everything else(even the Winchip C6 was better that Pentium in business stuff of the time, and was half power, heat and cost plus worked on old socket 5 boards), just Quake, Quake, Quake....
I'd have loved to see what Cyrix and RiSE had coming next, competition is the driving force of innovation, you only have to look here https://web.archive.org/web/19970607201650/ht … bsr_6x86_3.html to see that Cyrix had easily beaten Intel in performance for 99% of what anyone really used a PC for at the time, and that with vastly lesser resources, funding and manufacturing ability. Imagine what Cyrix could have done if they had kept going long enough to make it to the size of AMD back in 1999...
So yeah, screw Quake, it was designed for the Pentium plain and simple, I don't think it's a decent game or worth playing, so it'll never be an influence on the retro PC's I build and enjoy.

Well.. I understand where you are coming from and I do have a good appreciation of the 6x86 architecture as a workstation/business chip after using it for about two months, however Quake was my life basically between 1996 and 1999 - I was a competitive dialup QuakeWorld player so it is a game I go back to a lot..

And yes, it was unfortunate that Quake became a measuring stick for computer power but you can't deny that it was not without merit. Games that followed continued to make heavy use of the FPU for 3D graphics, it's not like 6x86 ever became relevant for 3D gaming when a better engine became available..

Maybe Cyrix should have directly targeted the Pentium Pro and released more Workstation and Server chips..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.