VOGONS

First post, by joeyjojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old Gateway 2000 P5 - 75. It has a turbo light with no turbo button. In the Bios I have the option of Turbo or de- Turbo. I was under the impression that when the turbo light is lit the computer is running at the slower speed but that does not seem to be the case with my setup. The computer runs faster in turbo mode. What software can I use to view the clock speed? I just want to verify if turbo actually means faster with this system.

Reply 1 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that's the one with the Intel NX/Neptune mainboard, then yes, turbo mode with the led on is the faster mode. But isn't that how it is on every system? I've never seen a system that runs slower when the turbo mode and the led is on.

Reply 2 of 9, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my Gateway P4D-66 tower the turbo light is always on and I haven't really noticed any performance difference, nor have I found a way to turn the light off.

Reply 3 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joeyjojo wrote on 2020-01-15, 16:29:

I have an old Gateway 2000 P5 - 75. It has a turbo light with no turbo button. In the Bios I have the option of Turbo or de- Turbo. I was under the impression that when the turbo light is lit the computer is running at the slower speed but that does not seem to be the case with my setup. The computer runs faster in turbo mode. What software can I use to view the clock speed? I just want to verify if turbo actually means faster with this system.

I have some Gateway 2000 486-33 desktop computer too with the same setup.
I think you are suppose to use keyboard hotkeys to enable/disable tubro mode.

I don't remember which keyboard hotkeys it is.

Reply 4 of 9, by joeyjojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-15, 16:32:

If that's the one with the Intel NX/Neptune mainboard, then yes, turbo mode with the led on is the faster mode. But isn't that how it is on every system? I've never seen a system that runs slower when the turbo mode and the led is on.

i have seen backwards turbo on a friends system when i was younger. We thought it was funny turbo made it go slower.

Reply 5 of 9, by joeyjojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-15, 16:32:

do you by any chance know what the dip switches on this board are for?

Attachments

• DJI_0734.JPG
    Filename
    DJI_0734.JPG
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joeyjojo wrote on 2020-01-16, 02:49:

No, sorry. It's not the NX-based mainboard that I thought it was.

Did you try finding a PDF of the manual? Shouldn't be that hard for Gateway 2000 stuff.

Reply 7 of 9, by joeyjojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-16, 12:51:
joeyjojo wrote on 2020-01-16, 02:49:

No, sorry. It's not the NX-based mainboard that I thought it was.

Did you try finding a PDF of the manual? Shouldn't be that hard for Gateway 2000 stuff.

i did but didn't have much luck.

Reply 8 of 9, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CTRL-ALT-Numpad + for turbo
CTRL-ALT-Numpad - for de-turbo

you change the turbo setting with a hotkey
my Intel Advanced/ML, Advanced/ATX, Advanced/ZP, and TC430HX has that same function.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 9 of 9, by joeyjojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows9566 wrote on 2020-01-16, 18:17:
CTRL-ALT-Numpad + for turbo CTRL-ALT-Numpad - for de-turbo […]
Show full quote

CTRL-ALT-Numpad + for turbo
CTRL-ALT-Numpad - for de-turbo

you change the turbo setting with a hotkey
my Intel Advanced/ML, Advanced/ATX, Advanced/ZP, and TC430HX has that same function.

thanks that worked!