VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-12, 15:18:
I would swap the Socket A motherboard with the Socket 754 one. This way you will get: - a Windows 98SE system with an Athlon XP […]
Show full quote
biessea wrote on 2020-05-12, 13:57:
At the end o f the stoty I think I will put 98se and that's all. I prefer to remain "oldie" considering that I have already a So […]
Show full quote

At the end o f the stoty I think I will put 98se and that's all. I prefer to remain "oldie" considering that I have already a Socket A xp-m system for windows xp, with the great x1950pro video card and the Xp-m overclocked to 2,4ghz. So I am ok for Windowd Xp.
I just try to have a fast fast machine (only to try, I think I will put away after a few tries) on windows98se.

So at the end I will put 512mb of RAM, the 3200+ socket 754 that I have here, and the 9550 as you adviced me.
I sure will try to hard/soft mod this Radeon if it is possibile.

So for new, I proceed to build, wow. Can't wait. I will put some photos then, thabking you all for this great help and advices.

I would swap the Socket A motherboard with the Socket 754 one. This way you will get:
- a Windows 98SE system with an Athlon XP and a Radeon 9550
- a Windows XP system, an Athlon 64 (I suppose) and a X1950 Pro

IMO, a much more balanced system config. The Athlon XP still should be fast enough for a fast 98 machine. The X1950 has more raw power, better suited for an XP machine.
But you should do it the way you like it to be, this is only my advice.

I agree with that opinion, but as computerguy08 says, the choice is yours .

Reply 21 of 26, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-12, 15:18:
I would swap the Socket A motherboard with the Socket 754 one. This way you will get: - a Windows 98SE system with an Athlon XP […]
Show full quote
biessea wrote on 2020-05-12, 13:57:
At the end o f the stoty I think I will put 98se and that's all. I prefer to remain "oldie" considering that I have already a So […]
Show full quote

At the end o f the stoty I think I will put 98se and that's all. I prefer to remain "oldie" considering that I have already a Socket A xp-m system for windows xp, with the great x1950pro video card and the Xp-m overclocked to 2,4ghz. So I am ok for Windowd Xp.
I just try to have a fast fast machine (only to try, I think I will put away after a few tries) on windows98se.

So at the end I will put 512mb of RAM, the 3200+ socket 754 that I have here, and the 9550 as you adviced me.
I sure will try to hard/soft mod this Radeon if it is possibile.

So for new, I proceed to build, wow. Can't wait. I will put some photos then, thabking you all for this great help and advices.

I would swap the Socket A motherboard with the Socket 754 one. This way you will get:
- a Windows 98SE system with an Athlon XP and a Radeon 9550
- a Windows XP system, an Athlon 64 (I suppose) and a X1950 Pro

IMO, a much more balanced system config. The Athlon XP still should be fast enough for a fast 98 machine. The X1950 has more raw power, better suited for an XP machine.
But you should do it the way you like it to be, this is only my advice.

I absolutely understand what you are saying, but I have absolutely no time to re-format two systems, reinstall sys-op in both of them and reconfiguring all.
My XP-M system with Windows XP was made with three hard disk cause it was my first try to a DOS real environment, but the Asus A7n8x-deluxe the motherboard with I overclocked the Athlon Mobile processor having the Nforce chipset doesn't permit me to use PCI audio card like this one do; so that system never been a REAL DOS complete system, and this is why some weeks later I found a real Pentium 200mmx that a friend of mine gave it to me and made me hard work do during this quarantine days.
So, I leave that great motherboard with that great overclock and 1gb of RAM for WindowsXp, and it works great;
Going deep, this can really be a fast fast system for Windows 98se,system that isn't so fast with the great AMD K6-2+450mhz.
I really appreciate all of your advice, this has to be clear as a shiny day. And I say thanks a lot to you. I appreciate your partecipation to my thread.
Now I am installing Windows 98se, after a problem with the LC-POWER power supply (I found it faulty at the end) now with a Cooler Master 350W all runs fine.
I am formatting the 20gb drive and now the fun begin, installing drivers and other.
Unfortunately the motherboard isn't so customizable, I cannot undervolt or underclock my Athlon 3200+ like for example Phil did in the last him video.

But let's see how the game runs.

Ps: the Radeon 9550SE 128mb is really lot faster than a more "history making" like Geforce256 32mb?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 22 of 26, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like I promised , here is some initial photo about the work:

IMG-20200512-165114.jpg

IMG-20200512-172452.jpg

IMG-20200512-172500.jpg

IMG-20200512-190618.jpg

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 23 of 26, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2020-05-12, 17:00:
I absolutely understand what you are saying, but I have absolutely no time to re-format two systems, reinstall sys-op in both of […]
Show full quote

I absolutely understand what you are saying, but I have absolutely no time to re-format two systems, reinstall sys-op in both of them and reconfiguring all.
My XP-M system with Windows XP was made with three hard disk cause it was my first try to a DOS real environment, but the Asus A7n8x-deluxe the motherboard with I overclocked the Athlon Mobile processor having the Nforce chipset doesn't permit me to use PCI audio card like this one do; so that system never been a REAL DOS complete system, and this is why some weeks later I found a real Pentium 200mmx that a friend of mine gave it to me and made me hard work do during this quarantine days.
So, I leave that great motherboard with that great overclock and 1gb of RAM for WindowsXp, and it works great;
Going deep, this can really be a fast fast system for Windows 98se,system that isn't so fast with the great AMD K6-2+450mhz.
I really appreciate all of your advice, this has to be clear as a shiny day. And I say thanks a lot to you. I appreciate your partecipation to my thread.
Now I am installing Windows 98se, after a problem with the LC-POWER power supply (I found it faulty at the end) now with a Cooler Master 350W all runs fine.
I am formatting the 20gb drive and now the fun begin, installing drivers and other.
Unfortunately the motherboard isn't so customizable, I cannot undervolt or underclock my Athlon 3200+ like for example Phil did in the last him video.

But let's see how the game runs.

Ps: the Radeon 9550SE 128mb is really lot faster than a more "history making" like Geforce256 32mb?

No need to excuse yourself, I am aware of the complications of swapping Windows XP installs 😉 , it can become a mess real quick if not done properly and takes a lot of time (been thru this a few times). As I said, make that system with your desired configuation and see what happens. The advice is there if you ever need it.

Reply 24 of 26, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another thing to ask:

About the Soundblaster, I have the CT4750 and the CT4810. I found that these are SoundBlaster 128PCI, but the CT4810 is Ensoniq. Probably this is the best one to have than the CT4750? I installed at the moment the CT4750, and after installed drivers for Windows98SE I cannot find the software to install of Creative.

Do you have an idea about that? any suggestion?

Love beer, too.

Reply 26 of 26, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-12, 21:39:

You can find the original CD on archive.org.

Here is one.

Thanks a lot, I'll download now.

Everything works fine, the Socket 754 is working, I'm happy about that but now I have to configure well, unfortunately I downloaded Directx9.0c for Windows98SE but it seems create problems with games, games like Unreal when I change resolution it crash, I don't know I have to try and try...

Love beer, too.