VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any way to slow down the speed of data transfers from disk-to-memory in DOSBox? Got a few games and things that blast through their startup screens instantly and would like to slow disk access down to vintage speeds.

Reply 6 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might have more luck with something that implements more low-level hardware emulation, such as PCEM . It emulates actual disk controllers and likely their bandwidth limitations . It won't save you from caching, but it should be able to throttle the transfer rate .

Reply 10 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Any specific game startup screens that you are particularly interested in ?
As there is already some slowing down, but that was to prevent some game crashes.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 12, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was comparing the blue disk icon in Doom against my real hardware. A mid-range 386 and 486DX2. I rarely see it in DOSBox, but see it frequently and longer on real hardware. There's also startup status I want to see.

Reply 12 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Slowing down hard disk access can be a tricky thing to generalize, unless one is prepared to make the amount of slowness a configurable option. First, in many cases slowing down is not desirable. Second, hard disks across the DOS era varied quite a bit in performance. Third, disk cache software (e.g. SMARTDRV) could increase read speed greatly, and you can think of DOSBox as having a large and super fast cache built in.

That said, it is easy to simulate drive slowness with a small TSR program like the one attached. Just run it in DOSBox and it will noticeably slow down reads in DOS programs. You can execute the program multiple times to compound the effect if even more slowness is desired. You may find it somehow reassuring to see the disk icon flashing in DOOM, or the similar icon in Quake, but I think most people appreciate not having to wait for games to load. 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    slowread.zip
    File size
    190 Bytes
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception