VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dcvezzani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get dosbox to successfully start up with audio successfully configured. The only clue that I have so far is that "hardware audio parameters" can't be set. I have successfully set up fluidsynth and verified that `aplaymidi` can be used to play MIDI files. Plus, dosbox seems to state that MIDI is set up successfully. But no sound seems to be coming through for anything right now when I run games in dosbox.

```
dosbox
DOSBox version 0.74-2
Copyright 2002-2018 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/pi/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74-2.conf
MIXER:Can't open audio: Couldn't set hardware audio parameters: Success , running in nosound mode.
ALSA:Client initialised [128:0]
MIDI:Opened device:alsa
```
What's the next thing that I should consider when troubleshooting my Raspberry Pi/Dosbox setup?

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.74-2.conf
    File size
    11.19 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File comment
    dosbox config file
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I get sound with mine. I do have ALSA (with alsamixer etc) installed and pulseaudio uninstalled, so maybe it's possible that pulseaudio is interfering with ALSA?
Only difference I have here is I don't have any fluidsynth setup, but that shouldn't affect primary sound...

DOSBox version 0.74-2
Copyright 2002-2018 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/pi/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74-2.conf
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:none

by the way I recommend building from SVN as there's a working dynarec - the build RaspbianRaspberry Pi OS provides lacks it and is much slower.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fluidsynth by default tries to use Jack. If you don't have jack installed and set to be the active audio server (instead of PulseAudio), you should specify to Fluidsynth that you want to use PulseAudio instead.