VOGONS

Reply 160 of 167, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@underage
I would like to share the files of the next revision, but I don't know when I'll do that.
The current revision has some components that are really expensive, and there were a few issues left to be fixed.

@anthony
That's true, I mostly designed this to use V5 5500 AGP cards in newer systems. The oldest MB I tested the adapter in was a socket 478 one, and it works fine. For older systems, yes, a pci-pci bridge would fix any issues.

Reply 161 of 167, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dm- wrote on 2024-01-05, 03:43:

Is it possible to have a pcie to agp adapter card? to put the pcie card in to agp slot?

prices for agp cards went up, but at the same time, pcie versions are still cheap.

i have pcie to pci adapter from aliexpress and everything works well, 7800,8800,9400 and even gtx480, but the pci bottleneck is making everything not so good.

I am in too for making of an adapter which allow to use a PCI Express x16 graphic card in AGP slot.

@ sdz
Are you going to aim sometimes for such adapter please?

Reply 162 of 167, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Rabanik
I don't plan to make such an adapter. It should be possible to make such a thing using PI7C9X130 PCIe to PCI bridge in reverse bridge mode, and only the PCI part of the AGP bus.
If you would like to make such an adapter, drop a PM, I can provide my PI7C9X130 schematics (PCIe to PCI adapter), and also reference ones with reverse bridge mode, as well as other tools.

Reply 163 of 167, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"If you would like to make such an adapter, drop a PM, I can provide my PI7C9X130 schematics (PCIe to PCI adapter), and also reference ones with reverse bridge mode, as well as other tools."
I'm afraid it is not in my strength. But there will a big performance drop, right?
Wouldn't be better to salvage the HSI bridge chips from old nVidia cards?

Reply 164 of 167, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will probably be worse than agp versions of the same or similar cards as the agp features won’t work.

It will still be at least 66 mhz pci thru put so at least there is that.

It’s possible paired with super fast gpu you may be able to exceed available agp cards despite the interface being slower than agp but perhaps in not all aspects.

Suggest doing the test on a 66mhz pci system before building the adapter, see if it seems worth it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 165 of 167, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

already did some tests
i have a supermicro desktop board based on server e7505 chipset, model x5dal-tg2.
so it has a pci-x slots which can work as a pci-66mhz. (266mb)

anyway... paired with 3.2ghz server xeon gallatin cpu and pcie->pci66 radeon 5770 scored 26k 3dmark 2003 . same card in pcie and with c2d scored 47k.
geforce cards in 3dmarks just does not likes pcie->pci. in games it depends.. some game love geforce, some radeon.

in most games this thing will work pretty good, even up to full hd resolution. later games, more issues, gta iv struggling heavy from low pci bandwidth.

Reply 166 of 167, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rabanik wrote on 2024-05-12, 12:48:

"If you would like to make such an adapter, drop a PM, I can provide my PI7C9X130 schematics (PCIe to PCI adapter), and also reference ones with reverse bridge mode, as well as other tools."
I'm afraid it is not in my strength. But there will a big performance drop, right?

Be it HSI or Rialto (ATi counterpart), you need to first find their datasheets as well as other documentations useful for making such designs. I don't think they are available in an accessible way at the moment.

On the other hand, a DisplayPort capable PCIe video card will definitely work well even behind a PCIe -> PCI adapter, as you can set high desktop resolutions and refresh rates that were never possible with existing AGP video cards. Performance in game and other use cases will be limited by PCI's bandwidth, however.

Reply 167 of 167, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2024-05-14, 11:50:
Rabanik wrote on 2024-05-12, 12:48:

Be it HSI or Rialto (ATi counterpart), you need to first find their datasheets as well as other documentations useful for making such designs. I don't think they are available in an accessible way at the moment.

On the other hand, a DisplayPort capable PCIe video card will definitely work well even behind a PCIe -> PCI adapter, as you can set high desktop resolutions and refresh rates that were never possible with existing AGP video cards. Performance in game and other use cases will be limited by PCI's bandwidth, however.

Thank you dm- for the tests. Fortunatelly I have no such server motherboard.
My point is having of a multipurpose gaming PC machine (DOS/W9x/XP) with various graphic cards/standards (included Vo0doo cards) and where every used PCI and AGP slot really matters. So for example you can use combine Radeon X850XT AGP and GeForce 7800 PCIe reduced to PCI or to AGP or vice versa. So both type of adapters where you reduce PCIe graphic card to AGP or to PCI is really desired.