VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gahhhrrrlic wrote on 2020-10-14, 17:12:

Can you summarize your dll setup (what version your files are and where you put them?)

Unreal engine games worked on my card without any ini tweaks or alternate DLL files.

and also what version number your unreal is?

As noted earlier, I'm using UT99 GOTY (v4.32), Unreal Gold (v2.26b) and Deus Ex GOTY (v1.112fm). Those are stock versions from the CDs, with no extra patches. All of them worked out of the box with my YMF724 using this driver:

yamaha_dsxg_driver_win_95_98_me_v._4.07.1040__directx7_certified_.exe 

that I got from Phil's website. Operating system was Windows 98SE and sound was played via headphones. No ini tweaks, no alternate DLLs. It was enough to enable 3D Audio in the relevant menus:

• For UT99 GOTY go to Options > Preferences > Use Hardware 3D Sound.
  • For Unreal Gold, press the tilde key (~) to open the console and type "preferences". Then, go to Audio > Use3dHardware > True.
  • For Deus Ex GOTY go to Settings > Sound > Hardware 3D Support > On.

The Sensaura logo/sound should fire as soon as you tick those options, and afterwards every time you start the game.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 21 of 23, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Based on what you've said, the only unknowns that could possibly be of relevance are, what dll versions did your default install create and where did it put them? I understand you didn't modify anything but if you were to do a computer search for the dll files, where do they show up and what does properties say about their version numbers? Because everything else matches perfectly with what I have.

Did you try running HL the way I described to see if it would work? you can override the dlls in the game folder without having to move them from your system dir.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 22 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gahhhrrrlic wrote on 2020-10-15, 22:06:

Based on what you've said, the only unknowns that could possibly be of relevance are, what dll versions did your default install create and where did it put them?

I didn't move the DLLs for the Unreal engine game tests. They reside in whatever the default install location is. I'm guessing C:\Windows\System32. Can't check right now because that rig is currently set up with pure DOS 6.22 in order to run some SB-Link compatibility tests in that environment. Once those are finished, I might reinstall Win98 and do another round of Sensaura testing.

I understand you didn't modify anything but if you were to do a computer search for the dll files, where do they show up and what does properties say about their version numbers? Because everything else matches perfectly with what I have.

The relevant version numbers should be listed in my sensinfo logs which are posted in the thread that I linked to multiple times already.

Did you try running HL the way I described to see if it would work? you can override the dlls in the game folder without having to move them from your system dir.

I am aware that DLLs placed in the game folder override the ones located elsewhere. I didn't have the time to play around with Half-Life yet since I'm currently running DOS on that rig, as mentioned above.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 23 of 23, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok understand. No rush. When you get back into that system let me know. I have consulted all relevant literature but am getting different results from you so unless I overlooked some minutia about your setup, it could be your card differing from mine somehow or something I haven't thought of yet. I'll keep tinkering.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer