VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Feature Request Thread

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 298, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the record, Retro Wifi SI modem has such a feature. It allows you to map up to 10 7-digit "phone numbers" to network addresses. DosBox HAL9000 build has something like this as well (Re: Direct serial port working).

Last edited by Nicknine on 2020-02-25, 15:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 242 of 298, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-02-25, 15:00:

Is there a reason you don't just use nullmodem?

Null-modem is more cumbersome to use as you have to constantly change serial1 parameter back and forth while with modem you just set it once and enter the address when starting the game.

Reply 243 of 298, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, i think a feature dosbox need to have is support for super resolutions, since most if not all new intel graphic cards cant do low clocks, and dosbox is not usable in this gfx cards

a post about this is here
Is there any version of dosbox that supports super resolutions (2560x240,etc)?

Last edited by theelf on 2020-02-26, 02:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 245 of 298, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-02-26, 01:40:
theelf wrote on 2020-02-25, 23:10:

dosbox is not usable in this gfx cards

That isn't true at all, just use a resolution other than "original".

give me a example please, i will check

For example dosbox in a intel gma 950, x3100, x4500 or HD, ati 3xxx, nvidia cards

Reply 246 of 298, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicknine wrote on 2020-02-25, 07:53:

I think DosBox could use some kind of "phonebook" feature that would essentially map fake phone numbers to addresses. This would help games where input field does not allow non-numeric symbols and/or is too small for IP address.

I have now set up the build environment for DosBox, I think I can write this feature myself. Does DosBox repo accept community contributions often?

Reply 247 of 298, by EmanuelePulciDoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Nicknine
I am really interested in this phonebook feature because the one set up by HAL9000 has been eliminated as he suggests in the following post: Phonebook problem
I am trying to play 688 Attack Sub on multiplayer mode and the nullmodem feature does not work. I have a complete proper post on it. This phonebook feature could be the only fix considering the game only accepts max 11 digits phone numbers.
If you are able to write it would you then be able to share it some way?

Reply 248 of 298, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EmanuelePulciDoria wrote on 2020-03-30, 14:17:
@Nicknine I am really interested in this phonebook feature because the one set up by HAL9000 has been eliminated as he suggests […]
Show full quote

@Nicknine
I am really interested in this phonebook feature because the one set up by HAL9000 has been eliminated as he suggests in the following post: Phonebook problem
I am trying to play 688 Attack Sub on multiplayer mode and the nullmodem feature does not work. I have a complete proper post on it. This phonebook feature could be the only fix considering the game only accepts max 11 digits phone numbers.
If you are able to write it would you then be able to share it some way?

Here's what I got so far:

Filename
dosbox-modem.patch
File size
10.1 KiB
Downloads
112 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 249 of 298, by EmanuelePulciDoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Nicknine, so basically this seems something that needs to be patched in some way to the source file to get a compiled executable of Dosbox with this modification inside. I have no experience in compiling the program and maybe I’m asking a silly question but would it be possible to have directly a Dosbox.zip package with your modification as the one you can download from the Dosbox website?

Reply 251 of 298, by EmanuelePulciDoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@MasterO, I have seen your link before it was deleted, thank you, very useful. Do you have a thread talking about Dosbox-staging?
Dosbox should definitely have this phone book feature and I really do not understand why it has been deleted.

Reply 252 of 298, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOSBox-staging discussion please go to the DOSBox-staging site.

Your other thread is here discussing the phonebook feature: 688 Attack Sub multiplayer mode problems

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 254 of 298, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JessicaJones wrote on 2020-06-29, 23:24:

Hi

I would like Nuked OPL3 added to dosbox.

So it can be set in dosbox.conf next to the existing opl emulators.

DOSBox-X, DOSBox-staging and DOSBox ECE all support this feature now, so try any of them.

Reply 255 of 298, by zerobyzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good morning

I think DosBox should implement any form of programming interface or API so users and front-end developers could automate or simplify some tasks. At the moment, there are many things you can automate at the execution of DosBox but once you're inside it, all your options are key shortcuts or dosbox commands (and/or batch files).

(I came to this limitation of DosBox when trying to create a physical interactive control panel for DosBox created with arduino as I explain in this short post Is there any programming interface (or plans for one) to control DosBox).

Regards

Reply 256 of 298, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much all the options that are "safe" to change at any time other than at the command prompt already have keybinds. Adding different ways of changing other options isn't really worth the effort because it would either require a restart of DOSBox to take effect or likely crash the current program by corrupting memory.

Reply 257 of 298, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AWE32 compatibility, like the iCD version of X-Com. Then get oplemu=compat to work. Then upgrade to OPL4 emulation, which is only found on the Yamaha SoundEdge, a Soundblaster Pro clone.

Could there be a wiki describing the install options of DOSBox - X? The initial decision between DirectX and OpenGL is big, I've tried it both ways and the OpenGL option is much simplified in terms of the size of the install.

Also, for DOSBox, I know it's simpler than DOSBox -X, but couldn't we get rid of the clumsy ctrl F10 method of releasing the mouse cursor?

Is there any way to report something like a Blaster status from the command prompt?

When version was oplmode added as a configuration option?

note: The directdraw install of DOSBox -X has been removed.

Attachments

Last edited by dnewhous on 2021-03-10, 03:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 259 of 298, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the wikipedia, for sound effects, the OPL4 can be connected to the Yamaha YSS225 effects processor (EP), which adds various sound effects.

Would that do any good in games?

Daniel L Newhouse