Is there any ways to do this?

Thanks!!!

Reply 2 of 13, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
DosFreak wrote:

Create an autoexec.bat and config.sys file and stick them into a mounted C:\.

Well, this is good only if the program physically checks them. DOSBOX DOES NOT USE THEM (unless alternative version of DOS using disc images is booted)!
Things from AUTOEXEC.BAT can go to [autoexec] section of DOSBOX.CONF. There is not any alternative to CONFIG.SYS (but the FILES value should be high enough - it is hardcoded in DOSBOX - I do not remember now how much, but I think it is higher than 80 which you need).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Slightly on-topic: The poster did state that the program needed those lines, so DosFreak's answer was correct. The poster did NOT say that the program needed the EFFECT of those lines - in which case Mirek's answer is correct 😀

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 13, by Guest

User metadata

I tried the "set clipper=f80" on the autoexec of dosbox and tried to run the program... But nothing happens... I don't get error msgs and the program just don't run...

I tried it on WinXP (changed the autoexec.nt and config.nt under \windows\system32 folder

I run the program, it works fine, but the ntvdm process uses my processor like hell.. It gets 90% of my processor... That's why i'm trying to use this prog to run under dosbox...
Any Clue?

Thanks!

Reply 8 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Believe it or not I had a clipper program that refused to load under Windows XP, no matter what I do (Foxplus, a database manager dBase style) and I got it working using VDMSOUND. Yes, VDMSound. Just make sure you add the following lines to the ADVANCED -> Dos Environment -> Config.sys section...

FILES=150 (or whatever number needed)
FCBS=4 (4 or 8 should be right)

😎

Of course, don't forget to run it using VDMsound (Run the .VLP shortcut)

Reply 9 of 13, by sid_reynolds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I am new & have similar problems, could you please assist me?
I tried your suggestion, but some problems:
-I created the autoexec.bat (with set clipper=f80) & config.sys (with files=80) in my own c:\, but it gave a warning message when I typed "mount c c:\" saying I shouldn't use the root directory. Is that OK?
-I continued, but coudn't copy the 2 files from my c:\ to z:\. How is this done?It didn't like DOS "copy" command, and it doesn't recognise Edit command.
-Also, is Dosbox more stable than Dos under WIn98 (which I found very unstable having to do multiple "scandisk"'s). I have a friend who has Win98, and is running my clipper EXE from an icon from her desktop. Is that OK, or should we use DosBox instead?
Any urgent assistance with these problems much apppreciated.
Thanks, Sid

Reply 10 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You got me wrong. You don't need to create any config.sys nor autoexec.bat but EDIT THAT PROPERTIES SHEET for the .VLP shortcut (there's an autoexec section in VDMSound shortcuts).

Just right-click on the .VLP shortcut > Properties > and check the appropiate section.

th_16376_VLP_01.jpg th_16381_VLP_02.jpg

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

To avoid the problems with the Z-drive in DOSBox, do this:

1. Create a directory for your Clipper-program, e.g. "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyClipper".
  2. Copy the Clipper-program, and all its files to "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyClipper".
  3. Start DOSBox.
  4. In DOSBox, mount up DOSBox's drive C:

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\MyClipper"
  5. Start the Clipper-program.

D:>C:
    C:>dir
    C:>myprogram

(or "run", or "play" or whatever the command to start the Clipper-program is called)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 13, by JamesAb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe, just maybe, you'd be better off using the environment variables on XP and running your clipper program natively.

I've come across very weird problems with the clipper/xp combination, but the solution always came down to editing environment variables, using the program in full screen mode, messing with cmd line shortcut properties, using Win9x compatibility mode or mapping network printers correctly.

Of course, if you are using the 64bit XP version them simply forget it.

If you are going for the emulation rote, you could try VMWare/VirtualPC too and see if you have any luck with them.