VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ktulu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i'm a bit new to the forums, just to say that it's a great place, hope i'll stay awhile... stay forever 😀.
Anyway, here's my prob:
I got prisoner of ice (210 MB) CD-RIP version, full sound voicecast and all. The probles is that when I try to save a game, the game crashes. Same thing happens during an intro near the beginning, when a tentacle grabs the captain (because the game tries to make a checkpoint). I saw some explenations on the abandonia forums, i tried allkinda mounting but nothing seems to work. I know that some of the infogrames games have some protection and screwed up paths (like Shadow Of The Comet) but this is too much. Please if some1 knows something about this, post here 😀. Thanx.

By the way, I have an Athlon XP 2000+, AT7-MAX2 MSI mainboard, 256 DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5200 128 MB, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1. I have both Win XP and Win 98 installed if that's of any use to u 😀.

That is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie,
And With Strange Aeons, Even Death May Die.

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, Welcome to the forums. (Nice Shadow of the Comet avatar -if I'm not mistaken- by the way). I am also an H. P. Lovecraft fan (and his Cthulhu mythos) and I play "Call of Cthulhu pen and paper RPG" every now and then). So I also like games based on this universe. I am now waiting for "CoC:Dark Corners of the Earth" to hit the shelves.

I don't know what your problem can be. I have the original Prisoner of Ice and I can run it under Windows XP (not perfect, but it works). I remember I could run it using VDMSound. Did you try it?
Another suggestion is to check if files have the read-only attribute or not. 😎

Reply 2 of 9, by ktulu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx 4 the welcome 😀. As for the avatar, ur right, it's SOTC. I also await for the Dark Corners with great anticipation 😀. Although I've never had the oportunity to play the pen and paper RPG 🙁. Anway, I tried the read-only catch, but no progress. You see, the game makes a dir in C:\POI, where it puts its savegames and config files. It seem as though the game cannot read and write on the same partition (wich is stupid but...). I suspect there's some trouble with the names of the dirs, maybe you could post the filesystem tree that the game has or makes on your HDD? I haven't tried the VDMSound, never tried the damn thing, i'll try with that, thanx 😀.

P.S.
Having a problem with the VDMSound site. Dunno what is it but it's like the site doesn't exist. That's for the 2.1 version i saw existed earlier. I found a 2.0.4. ver so i'll try that 😀.

Reply 3 of 9, by ktulu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok a few interesting things I found out.

I forgot to post the error message the game shows:

Fatal Error --> ERROR TYPE : FILE-02 : 'TEST' (refer to manual)

So I looked into the manual, the error type : File-02 means:
FILE-02: Cannot create a file
Your hard disk is either full or damaged.
Refer to your DOS manual to repair the error.

It's clear the game has trouble with writing on the "real" output dir.
The even more interesting thing is that the config dir in the manual is stated as C:\IMOTION\ICE and the game makes a dir C:\POI. What's up with this? Now the thing that bugs me is the 'TEST' part. It seems as though the game asks or writes a TEST dir or file. Don't really get it but there are no dirs/files by that name in my RAR.
When I try to mount the game dir as a CD or some other driveletter in DosBox I get the similar message but it asks for the file: __ICE__.PCK
The file's there but the game doesn't recognise it? It seems as though the game thinks it's in a different dir than it is (maybe \IMOTION\ICE). I had a similar problem with the SOTC Museum ( a ripped version of it). Didn't manage to run it either, but works in plain DOS. It also had a path: \IMOTION\COMET or something like that in its config files. I'm really confused here...

Reply 4 of 9, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game has to install into that directory. When mounting DOSBOX you will need to mount c: \ drive and create a .bat file to direct it to the correct directory. If you mount directory to that directory then the cfg file will not work because it is looking for a subdirectory. It may also be possible to edit the cfg to state the correct directory, but either way, make sure DOSBOX loads c: \ so that the subdirectories will work properly.

Reply 5 of 9, by ktulu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i do mount it on C:\, it's the only way the game works, although it crashes on savegame. BUT, I've managed to run the game normally, with savegame support. I've recorded the game on a CD-RW and then grabbed it in Alcohol 120%. With the help of VDMSound, the game works perfectly. My only problem is that my monitor is too dark and the video card's brightness controls don't work on dos apps. Anyway, the game works, thanx alot for ur help people 😀.

Reply 8 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

(Moved from DOSBox forum to DOS forum, since it has nothing to do with DOSBox)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 9, by Hosehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those still trying to work on this one, it seems to be a language-specific problem on XP. For some languages, everything works, but for others, it can cause a problem.

I have the "A" version (American English?), and have the same problem. There's a post on the Adventure Forums ( here ) dealing with the F & E versions (French & English?). I tried their workaround (with the "dir" command), and it didn't work with my version. But others may want to try that one.

[I didn't find a rule that said its wrong to post links to other forums, my newbie-swaddled apologies if it is.]

"Be Quick, Or Be Hosed!"