VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iraito wrote on 2021-05-20, 10:18:

That's totally fine for me, i still have a 32mb pc100 memory bank double layered that i used on a similar pc in the 90's, it's mostly the speed i care about, 32mb is the max i'm gonna ever use on a pentium 1.

Nice. 32MB is pretty deluxe for mid 90s really. Only reason you might want to grab another if the opportunity presents for free or cheap, is that with 64MB it's easy to boot the system on a Puppy Linux variant, use interwebs to grab stuff to it's hard disk. Bit more secure and do-able with the modern web, than trying to do it with 10 year more ancient browsers and zilch wifi support etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21 of 22, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-21, 12:57:
iraito wrote on 2021-05-20, 10:18:

That's totally fine for me, i still have a 32mb pc100 memory bank double layered that i used on a similar pc in the 90's, it's mostly the speed i care about, 32mb is the max i'm gonna ever use on a pentium 1.

Nice. 32MB is pretty deluxe for mid 90s really. Only reason you might want to grab another if the opportunity presents for free or cheap, is that with 64MB it's easy to boot the system on a Puppy Linux variant, use interwebs to grab stuff to it's hard disk. Bit more secure and do-able with the modern web, than trying to do it with 10 year more ancient browsers and zilch wifi support etc.

Before killing the motherboard i was actually using FTP to transfer files between the new and old PC, i will probably do the same with the new motherboard.

P.S: Do i need to format win95 to use the new motherboard ? it's kind of a pain.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 22 of 22, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boot into safe mode and delete all the old drivers or it may barf and go all bluescreeny... it's not a particularly clean way to run it, as you typically get vestiges of old drivers still hanging around vs clean install, but it will get it working.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.