VOGONS

What are Tough American Strong components ?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate nationalistic jingo (I'm a citizen of Earth, we are all one race), but this thread has given me a good laugh. I'll buy parts from anywhere, as long as they are good. Like everyone else, I want parts to last, but just because parts from 20 years ago still work is no guarantee that modern parts from the same company/region will last just as well.

I do have my prefered component manufacturers, but I'm not anal about it 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 61 of 66, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be on topic, the only robust systems I see still operating with 24/7/365 service for multiple decades are HP-UX and DEC/Compaq Alpha. Minimal hardware failures with uptime counted in years with no reboots. (example from my workplace)

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 62 of 66, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am one of the only "Tough American Strong components" left here apart from a few other Vogons US members. <runs and hides> guess am not that tough 🤣.
Had to throw that in just for laughs...😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 63 of 66, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-08-16, 01:33:

I am one of the only "Tough American Strong components" left here apart from a few other Vogons US members. <runs and hides> guess am not that tough 🤣.
Had to throw that in just for laughs...😁

We need more laughter here.....😉

I'm just a 6ft midget in the South Pacific Ocean.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 64 of 66, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As my profile says, I am Canadian . My brethren gave us :
- Adlib Multimedia
- Advanced Gravis Computer Technology
- Mediatrix
- Matrox
- ATI Technologies
- Corel
- Watcom International Corporation

Is that "tough and strong" enough, big and bad enough... ? 😉 (EDIT : Shaft (1971) soundtrack is playing...)

Reply 65 of 66, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then there's some SGS Thomson Cyrix CPUs that were made in Canada I think, and we had system integrators like Seanix who assembled all their own boards and built systems you could beat a polar bear to death with.

Edit: Think it must have been Nortel's fab they bought in Ottawa.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 66 of 66, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-16, 03:15:

Then there's some SGS Thomson Cyrix CPUs that were made in Canada I think, and we had system integrators like Seanix who assembled all their own boards and built systems you could beat a polar bear to death with.

Edit: Think it must have been Nortel's fab they bought in Ottawa.

I remember Seanix. When I was still a student, my college COOP was pushing Seanix branded systems, AFAICR (mid 90s). I never used one of those, but a friend of mine did . Memories...