VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bbackhou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am very new to this, but i have DosBox running on an old Dell D610 Laptop in Windows XP. I am trying to use it to run a Mikron Multistep Machining centre (manufacturing).
All the screens are working and i can communicate and receive data from the machine.
But when i try and send some programs to the machine, DosBox crashes with a "file date or file time is wrong" error screen. It works with some programs, but not others.
Is there a way to disable dosbox from checking file data stamps?

Reply 1 of 7, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Mikron Multistep Machining centre (manufacturing)." DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 2 of 7, by bbackhou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of 100 parts we make on the machine, 93 work and send to the machine without error (using dos box). 7 fail with "file date or file time is wrong". When i check those files, they all have date stamps for the year 2056. Normal dos doesnt seem to care about this, but dosbox does.
Strangely, if i correct the data stamps to the current date (or prior), those 7 files still fail to send.

Reply 4 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please consider trying vDos, vDosPlus, other DOSBox forks, etc.

DOSBox is not intended to be used for anything other than games, and its developers and support team on VOGONS.org (the official support forum for DOSBox) will not support your use of it for a non-gaming application - but other forks of DOSBox might.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 7, by bbackhou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2022-01-19, 02:38:

When you say DOSBox "crashes", what exactly happens? Where does the error message appear?

File with the following errors:
File date or file time is wrong
TSR-Program Terminated

Reply 7 of 7, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try setting the date back with the 'date' command in dosbox. After that generate the files and try again.

And as mentioned, you should use a dosbox fork that supports non-games, such as DOSBox-X.