VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

since the sound card was built in motherboards for decades, i dont have the midi volume control

i need to set midi volume (background music) around 10%~20%
right now, all midi sounds are full blown under dosbox, i completely turned them off the games if applicable or i do anything to the midi-game files to mute them.

i am hoping if you guys know some small utilities that control the midi volume in windows.
when i searched this
nearly 100% of results were real physical midi devices like electric guitars with midi plug-in utilities
and one midi synthesizer utility was 82mega byte size big, this probably has contant ads popup in it

the other one was this
CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.12.4 win10.exe, is this reliable?

are there any other midi synthesizers you recommand?

Reply 1 of 6, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
curvedline wrote on 2022-01-20, 06:47:

the other one was this
CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.12.4 win10.exe, is this reliable?

Last time I tried...

- it worked
- didn't have any ads, I think (but please download from CoolSoft's official site, not from some generic sofware download site)
- it sounded noticeably different and inferior to real hardware (SoundBlaster Audigy) using the same .sf2 file.

If you use Windows 8 or newer you'd probably also want their MIDIMapper so you can select default MIDI device.

Reply 2 of 6, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>>If you use Windows 8 or newer you'd probably also want their MIDIMapper so you can select default MIDI device.
i got the general idea about this kind of utilities.
for whatever the reasons may be, CoolSoft didnt want to use VirtualMIDISynth mapper #1 or MS GS wavetable synth #1. it seemed to me that it forcefully wanted me to download their CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth mapper until then all midis were cut off. i had to uninstall it.

i checked vanBasco's Karaoke Player it was already using midi mapper or MS GS wavetable synth in my computer.

my conclusion was this, it was not the synthesizer to get to the midi volume control. basic midi' s probably already installed in the OS somwhere. i dont want to sign up for a MS account for their MS store to download utilities.

nircmd didnt have the midi volume control commands either. i will just go with turning off all midis from games.

Reply 5 of 6, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have a look at: About Roland Virtual Sound Canvas 3

I believe it only runs in 9x/XP, and only a demo is still legally available. But have a read of mattw's first 5 or 6 posts anyway. Interesting stuff.

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OEM copies of VSC3 had been available on eBay for pretty cheap. No idea if there are any left

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK