486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-16, 15:25:
LOL, I'm pretty sure with an average of five minutes of research, one can find that statement about any brand known to man. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-03, 18:06:

With ABIT boards, my advice for desoldering would be to just throw it away. Pieces of junk, really.

🤣, I'm pretty sure with an average of five minutes of research, one can find that statement about any brand known to man.

I had a KT7-RAID and KR7A and was pretty happy with both. Clean layout, not stupid onboard sound, great bios.
True, they did not last forever but my gear tended not to once considered obsolete back then. (Think the latter was effed by a PSU failure, though.)

Oh, and Biostar really is shite, of course. 😜

Even though there were some constants from manufacturer to manufacturer, in the end I think it's best to look at it from a case to case perspective.
Even pc-chips made some decent motherboards and I wouldn't be surprised if every major quality manufacturer has made some duds in the past.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 28, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-04-16, 13:04:

Holy crap it works 😁

Good job! Another ABIT saved! 🥰

Pressing the power-button while sweating profusely and then finding out that all the effort was actually worth it is such a great feeling.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 23 of 28, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks 😁 , Yeah I'm pretty damn relieved , it wouldn't boot at first but after swapping the ram it started up.
Now assuming there isn't any stability issues , I'm going to finally be able to build my dream rig with it 😀

Reply 24 of 28, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LOL, I'm pretty sure with an average of five minutes of research, one can find that statement about any brand known to man. […]
Show full quote

With ABIT boards, my advice for desoldering would be to just throw it away. Pieces of junk, really.

🤣, I'm pretty sure with an average of five minutes of research, one can find that statement about any brand known to man.

I had a KT7-RAID and KR7A and was pretty happy with both. Clean layout, not stupid onboard sound, great bios.
True, they did not last forever but my gear tended not to once considered obsolete back then. (Think the latter was effed by a PSU failure, though.)

Oh NAW YOU DIDNT!
I've had mixed experiences with biostar. Worst one was with a P-IV machine that was unstable no matter what I did. Even changed the capacitors. Was from a customer so I gave up and told my customer "You need a new board" and that was the end of it. But the best board I've owned is a 775i65G which supports mostly EVERYTHING on the 775 socket. Sure, its DDR1 and limited to 2 gigs. But after a decade of heavy use... It still works. Recapped of course. I've even had it with a c2q (Q6700 slightly overclocked) and just... works.

Reply 25 of 28, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-16, 20:18:
Show full quote

Even though there were some constants from manufacturer to manufacturer, in the end I think it's best to look at it from a case to case perspective.
Even pc-chips made some decent motherboards and I wouldn't be surprised if every major quality manufacturer has made some duds in the past.

I still have a couple of "SIS" boards that still work, and PC-Chips? Those were crappy for many reasons but a lot of them at least worked well enough to bring up a whole market of PC Builders back in the 90's and well into the early 2000's. So, yeah. I am actually more used to seeing "brand" stuff fail in miserable ways. HP's, when they began to cheap out, is a great example. There was a whole line of Super Socket 7's, hp branded that was an absolute POS that even made the cheapest generic stuff look high quality.

Reply 26 of 28, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote on 2022-04-02, 06:42:
I have re-capped several boards the last years. After starting re-capping of the most critical capacitors on selected boards, d […]
Show full quote

I have re-capped several boards the last years.
After starting re-capping of the most critical capacitors on selected boards, during that time i have not bought a desolder gun,
i have used this multitool (dremel) to drill out the remaining solder at small holes. With this approach you have to take the smallest drill anyway.
Later i have bought a desolder gun additionally. For cases where you have bigger holes the gun is working really fine.
But for small holes i'm still working with my dremel.

Drilling PCBs generally isn't a good idea.
Most holes have integrated vias which, with a drill, get destroyed.
The only thing connecting the layers now is the solder, which has worse characteristics than the original copper deposits.
Also, when you don't solder "trough", only the lower, outer layer is connected.

I use a drill (by hand!) only as a last resort.
It's better to add fresh solder, remove the component and then use a desoldering iron/gun to get the holes free.

Reply 27 of 28, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can say that again. I've absolutely despised Biostar and try to avoid them as much as possible.

ABIT isn't the greatest either (some of their newer boards were hot trash, but at this point I'm specifically talking about 775 era stuff.) but doesn't deserve being bashed.
Soyo though, albeit some people here will probably find lots of arguments to counter my post, beats ABIT in the 440BX front IMO. Them (Soyo) , and ASUS.

I have a Soyo 6BA +IV and soon I'm going to be getting an ABIT BE6-II as well.
Gonna be fun to see how ABIT's implementation of the same hardware (440BX + HPT366, since it's the first revision, not the second which uses HPT370.) that my 6BA +IV uses will fare.
As far as I remember there were some users (not sure if here or on Badcaps) that complained that the ABIT BIOS cannot turn off the HPT366 controller. Will have to check if there's a BIOS update for the HPT as well, since I do recall my Soyo having troubles detecting 40GB drives with its original HPT BIOS, which was just some textmode initialization routine. The newer one has a full blown interface for it.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 28 of 28, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well bad news , the pc locks up in the bios when I go to pc health check , which shows the system temps or when i change the default speed to 450mhz.

Its also complained about the cpu on boot. Is it actually the cpu or is there something wrong with the motherboard or ram?

Should I swap the thermal paste on it?