First post, by Peter Swinkels
A utility for MS-DOS called UnLZEXE.exe freezes DOSBox when I try to use it on a DOS LZ-compressed executable. This happens each and every time. It and its source code can be found here:
A banner appears and then DOSBox freezes to the point it hijacks my Windows desktop and I have to force it to close using Task Manager. I have no idea what is causing this. Which settings could I try changing?
I found a work around:
1. Download a MS-DOS bootdisk.
2. Download and install OSFMount.
3. Mount the image using OSFMount.
4. Remove any unnecessary files. (the bare minimum needed: io.sys, msdos.sys, and command.com)
5. Copy UnLZEXE.exe and the executable to be decompressed to the mounted image's drive.
6. Unmount the image in OSFMount.
7. Start DOSBox and boot from the image.
8. Decompress your executable.
9. Close DOSBox.
10. Mount the image again and copy your files.
This was fairly easy to do, but it would be nice if this issue was resolved in such a way this could be done without booting into actual MS-DOS.
Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!
Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here: