VOGONS

Is fake cache a myth?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a handful of plastic with pins chips I removed from one 486 board, so that real cache can be put in place. BIOS was hacked to show that there was always 256KB of cache, regardless of what was installed (and real cache was never enabled either) so I needed a BIOS replacement in addition to adding sockets for real cache.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 21 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a thread recently about adapting dip to soj chips. I was thinking you could probably use small resistor legs to solder them to fake cache chips. Would be tedious though. But easy diy adapter.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In addition to everything that was said, just
"Motherboards with these modules are commonly known and advertised as having 256k of write back cache. These modules do not function as cache memory. They are blank modules which contain 0k of level 2 or external cache." while being essentially true statements (calling a piece of plastic with embedded metal pins a "blank module" is a euphemism at best) , do constitute an admission that someone was lying as a board cannot have 256K of cache made up of "0K blank modules".

The rest is mostly lies with some facts here and there.

Whoever wrote that "FAQ" is what I would refer to as a "spin doctor".

IMHO, it is not worth losing time on any mental gymnastics to try to see this as anything more than a rather feeble attempt at public relations damage control.

Reply 23 of 30, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is 'cargo cult engineering'. Stuff that looks like it can do something, but can't, because it's all fake. It seems to be a particular problem with cheap stuff from China/Taiwan. A similar issue is pocket calculators with fake solar cells. (VWestlife has a video on YouTube about this.)

Though not computer related, I got burned by this a couple of years ago, when I bought a thermal food container from China. (I wanted to be able to cook a meal in the morning and still have it hot, or at least warm, at lunchtime.) The jar was well made, but the lid was just a thin piece of uninsulated plastic that sat loosely over the top, held in place with latches.

What is the point of insulating the jar if you don't also insulate the lid?

This blew my mind. What stupid design. Obviously food put in this thing would be cold within an hour, making it useless.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 24 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The worst is when those cache chips are soldered onto the bother board and the traces from their pins lead to nowhere, so you can't even replace them with the real stuff and get them to work. That is some real write-back cache right there.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 30, by gen_angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes they exist, I had a PC-Chips P54C board with two fake plastic slugs for 'cache'. Fortunately, it had a COAST slot and populating that made it a non-issue.

Reply 27 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been sorting my parts because of the move I'm going through and I found the fake cache chips I mentioned earlier :

IMG_0086.jpg
Filename
IMG_0086.jpg
File size
546.1 KiB
Views
File comment
Fake cache
File license
Public domain

I'm surprised they did not melt when I heatgunned them off the board, when I poked one with soldering iron it immediately melted into it 🤣 (little hole seen in bottom chip)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 28 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You've found the missing cache from those "cacheless" Octek DCA boards.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 29 of 30, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2022-09-08, 06:33:

I have been sorting my parts because of the move I'm going through and I found the fake cache chips I mentioned earlier :
IMG_0086.jpg

you can try and dissolve one in acetone, preferably with timelapse video 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 30 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-08, 23:09:
Tiido wrote on 2022-09-08, 06:33:

IMG_0086.jpg

you can try and dissolve one in acetone, preferably with timelapse video 😀

Oh that would be cool. Doooo et!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)