VOGONS

Reply 80 of 86, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-10-05, 20:02:
That is interesting. Seems like those Quadro cards are binned pretty well. My GTS overclocks pretty well but it get's fairly toa […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-09-18, 01:16:

I picked up a 64 megabyte Asus GF2 MX today and tested it in my 5EMA; all else the same, this card scored about 500 points lower in 3D 2000 than the Quadro 2 Pro.

That is interesting. Seems like those Quadro cards are binned pretty well. My GTS overclocks pretty well but it get's fairly toasty in the process.
All said I still left in in the K6-3+ build. The TnL really does help. I ended up putting the Voodoo 3 in my Pentium III build, along side a Radeon 9250SE PCI card. I switch between the two with the bios.
Clunky but cheaper than a Voodoo 2 SLI setup.

I have lately moved onto getting one of my K6-2+ chips to work in a Toshiba Satellite 1625cdt.
Thanks to and old thread on Hardforum I was able to get it working, if only at 500mhz. Still a worthy upgrade.

I am curious RepoMan11 if this RepoMan in this thread is you? If so thanks for the help!

https://hardforum.com/threads/check-out-my-ha … upgrade.845058/

I didn't last long on [H] 😀 Not long after that, someone made fun of Kyle Bennett's Humvee, and he went on a banning spree. I made the mistake of pointing out that being that thin skinned about a vehicle you own was pretty silly, and I was banned as well. So it goes, the only time I've ever been banned from an online discussion forum.

I ended up giving that computer to a friend who had more use for a laptop than I did, but after a year or maybe two, one of his kids managed to destroy the PCMCIA slot and I ended up getting it back after that. I ended up taking it to Ewaste (in maybe 2009/10 when I had to get rid of a bunch of stuff because I lost use of a storage building) without taking it apart to get the K6-2+ 550 out of it because I had several K6-2+ CPUs already. When I remember things like that and kick myself , I go on to remind myself that even if I had salvaged the CPU, it would have been lost in the fire along with everything else.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 81 of 86, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-10-05, 21:08:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-10-05, 20:02:
That is interesting. Seems like those Quadro cards are binned pretty well. My GTS overclocks pretty well but it get's fairly toa […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-09-18, 01:16:

I picked up a 64 megabyte Asus GF2 MX today and tested it in my 5EMA; all else the same, this card scored about 500 points lower in 3D 2000 than the Quadro 2 Pro.

That is interesting. Seems like those Quadro cards are binned pretty well. My GTS overclocks pretty well but it get's fairly toasty in the process.
All said I still left in in the K6-3+ build. The TnL really does help. I ended up putting the Voodoo 3 in my Pentium III build, along side a Radeon 9250SE PCI card. I switch between the two with the bios.
Clunky but cheaper than a Voodoo 2 SLI setup.

I have lately moved onto getting one of my K6-2+ chips to work in a Toshiba Satellite 1625cdt.
Thanks to and old thread on Hardforum I was able to get it working, if only at 500mhz. Still a worthy upgrade.

I am curious RepoMan11 if this RepoMan in this thread is you? If so thanks for the help!

https://hardforum.com/threads/check-out-my-ha … upgrade.845058/

I didn't last long on [H] 😀 Not long after that, someone made fun of Kyle Bennett's Humvee, and he went on a banning spree. I made the mistake of pointing out that being that thin skinned about a vehicle you own was pretty silly, and I was banned as well. So it goes, the only time I've ever been banned from an online discussion forum.

I ended up giving that computer to a friend who had more use for a laptop than I did, but after a year or maybe two, one of his kids managed to destroy the PCMCIA slot and I ended up getting it back after that. I ended up taking it to Ewaste (in maybe 2009/10 when I had to get rid of a bunch of stuff because I lost use of a storage building) without taking it apart to get the K6-2+ 550 out of it because I had several K6-2+ CPUs already. When I remember things like that and kick myself , I go on to remind myself that even if I had salvaged the CPU, it would have been lost in the fire along with everything else.

I hate it when people get all offended about things that really shouldn't matter. The internet can be a strange place at times.
Some good came of it though I stumbled across that thread and it helped me get my jumper settings correct without tearing the whole machine apart. So there is that.

I think we all have some regrets of tossing hardware we shouldn't have. I still don't know what happened to my Packard Bell Legend 386sx machine, nothing fancy but it was my first ever PC and I would love to have one like it now.
I also distinctly remember tossing my PC Chips K6\2 machine which was the first machine I ever worked on\upgraded, as well as my grandmother's Athlon Thunderbird machine which was the first PC I ever built myself.

I also (not that long ago either) stupidly tossed a seemingly dead 486 VLB board of unknown make that "appeared" to be dead. Why did I do that?

Reply 82 of 86, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With that laptop, I finally settled on Windows 98 SE as the best option. Even with a RAM upgrade and a CPU upgrade, the driver support for Win98 (plus the write allocate utility that only ran on 98) meant that it was the best option of all that I tried.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 83 of 86, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-10-06, 20:38:

With that laptop, I finally settled on Windows 98 SE as the best option. Even with a RAM upgrade and a CPU upgrade, the driver support for Win98 (plus the write allocate utility that only ran on 98) meant that it was the best option of all that I tried.

Yeah, that is what I am running on it.
I have a bit of an obsession with retro laptops for some reason. I upgraded the RAM to 192MB. I have a small HDD in there now, but I will probably upgrade that as well.
I have one other K6-2+ laptop, and HP Omnibook, with a genuine 550mhz chip, but it has a cruddy DSTN screen.
I have a few Pentium MMX ones as well, including a Tillamook, a few PIII ones as well.

The only one that is not running Windows 98SE is the Dell Latitude XPi-CD. It is running 95osr2.5
I do have one Windows XP Pentium M laptop with a ATi 9700Pro, it has XP.

I gave up on trying to do much with Linux, it's just not in my blood. 🤣

Reply 84 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-10-07, 02:41:
Yeah, that is what I am running on it. I have a bit of an obsession with retro laptops for some reason. I upgraded the RAM to 1 […]
Show full quote

I have a bit of an obsession with retro laptops for some reason. I upgraded the RAM to 192MB. I have a small HDD in there now, but I will probably upgrade that as well.
I have one other K6-2+ laptop, and HP Omnibook, with a genuine 550mhz chip, but it has a cruddy DSTN screen.
I have a few Pentium MMX ones as well, including a Tillamook, a few PIII ones as well.

The only one that is not running Windows 98SE is the Dell Latitude XPi-CD. It is running 95osr2.5

That Tilly laptop would be a nice little machine .. is it the 300 Tilly ?

Reply 85 of 86, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-07, 05:36:
Yeah, that is what I am running on it. I have a bit of an obsession with retro laptops for some reason. I upgraded the RAM to 1 […]
Show full quote

No It is a 266mhz model. The machine actually had a 166 when I got it. It takes the little processor module that was so common back in the day. I couldn't find a 300 so I settled for the 266. Still a big upgrade for it.

Reply 86 of 86, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-10-10, 17:32:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-07, 05:36:
Show full quote

No It is a 266mhz model. The machine actually had a 166 when I got it. It takes the little processor module that was so common back in the day. I couldn't find a 300 so I settled for the 266. Still a big upgrade for it.

Yea the 300's seem to be a bit rarer than the 266, still a very nice little machine !