VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-18, 22:46:

Be very sure that that module works with your mobo before installing. Some of them are destructively incompatible.

Not sure how to make sure of that. The cache module does not have brand on it. It is just a coast module with 512KB of pipeline burst cache as far as I know.

Reply 21 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Find pics of the mobo online with it installed and make sure it is the same module or talk to some of the people around here more versed on these modules than I am. There are ways to be relatively sure it isn’t the wrong one I’m sure

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-19, 00:30:

Find pics of the mobo online with it installed and make sure it is the same module or talk to some of the people around here more versed on these modules than I am. There are ways to be relatively sure it isn’t the wrong one I’m sure

The manual of the motherboard online did not have any info on the module type. Well, I generally thought that that most coast modules were all compatible except some oems like compaq had their special ones.

Reply 23 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2022-09-19, 02:24:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-19, 00:30:

The manual of the motherboard online did not have any info on the module type. Well, I generally thought that that most coast modules were all compatible except some oems like compaq had their special ones.

don't make assumptions with coast sticks. make a thread, ask the community.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 31, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

at bare minimum figure out which pins on the card edge are vcc and ground by buzzing them out with a multimeter and checking the cache chip datasheets, then compare to slot on the motherboard

Reply 25 of 31, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The pictured COAST module is an "Elitegroup CM161", at least it´s recommended in the Elitegroup manuals. It´s a COAST version 2.0 or higher stick.

It was available with 512K and 2 x TAG RAM, 512K and 1 x TAG RAM and 256K with 1 x TAG RAM.

This module is quite universal and runs perfectly in most Intel FX, VX and HX boards that don´t implement some proprietary solution.

I suspect it must have some tiny modification (probably using some "NC" pin) so Elitegroup mainboards accept it while they refuse to work with many common sticks.

Reply 26 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to desolder the dallas battery from the motherboard. I made a little bit of mess on the back side of the motherboard. Hopefully I did not break any traces because traces go really close to the pads. My hands are not the most stable so they are shaking when I do this kind of thing. Pads themselves are fine and the holes themselves are clean enough that the pins of the old dallas battery go easily through if I put it back there.

Edit: I guess I am not good enough for this yet. It ended up being what I was worried about. I checked all traces with multimeter and it seems that the trace that goes to AD1 pin on the battery at the back of the motherboard is broken. All other traces are fine.

Reply 27 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uhoh. Time to fix it. Maybe have someone who does this professionally fix it?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 28 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-21, 01:59:

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard after I put a socket there to solder small piece of wire between the pin the socket and where the trace goes to on backside of the motherboard.
I probably used too much heat when desoldering. I had to use more than 350C to have any chance of desoldering with that motherboard.

Reply 29 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2022-09-21, 02:20:

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard after I put a socket there to solder small piece of wire between the pin the socket and where the trace goes to on backside of the motherboard.
I probably used too much heat when desoldering. I had to use more than 350C to have any chance of desoldering with that motherboard.

Use of flux paste helps a lot

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 30 of 31, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chipquik or some other equivalent Cerrolow based product helps tremendously when desoldering from multi layer PCBs without specialized equipment. It's intended for SMD desoldering, but works just as well on through hole stuff when given time to mix properly with the original solder.

Reply 31 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-21, 03:00:
Baoran wrote on 2022-09-21, 02:20:

Use of flux paste helps a lot

Probably need to buy some flux paste. The solder I use has a flux core but other than that I only have liquid flux meant for soldering SMD components using temperature of 280C or less.