VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by frostb1t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem
When I start games in fullscreen or ALT+Enter into fullscreen at any time, the screen will go black as if it's attempting to go fullscreen but will jump back to the windowed mode immediately. The games keep running fine in the small window and there're no new outputs in the DosBox console.

Reproducibility
The problem exists very often, though sometimes there are no issues at all. At those times when it occurs it concerns all games. I have a bunch of them with different settings, from different sources (incl. GOG but also others), 2D/3D, etc.

Specs
Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
AMD 5600x
32GB DDR4
AMD RX 6600XT
Onboard sound
Win 11
Games: Blockout, Krypton Egg, Tomb Raider 1, Disney's Hercules, Asterix & Obelix, Lemmings, ...
Sound mode: ?
Video mode: all videos modes affected like overlay, opengl, ddraw, direct3d,...
Version of emulator: 0.74.x

My attempts to solve it

• Read the the Dosbox manual. That way I figured out that fullresolution=desktop (or 3840x2160 in my case) will solve this specific issue, however introduces other bugs. For example in Tomb Raider I the screen is not centered anymore, but moved to the left screen border. I haven't checked for bugs in all other games so far (and the ones to come) but only tested whether they stay in full screen or not.
  • Disabled o in-game overlays and stopped most processes and open windows, especially those with potential in-game overlays.
  • Rebooted my PC in the hope of entering the "no issue state" randomly.
  • Checked my 2 4K screens whether they support 640x480 which they do.

Reply 1 of 1, by frostb1t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Besides the option I mentioned in my first post another option that works well, at least on my AMD graphics card, is to enable GPU scaling. That way my TV receive a 4K signal always, even when the game runs at 640x480. That way I never experienced that problem and it avoids the manual hassle in various config files