VOGONS

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is based on BeOS, a spitting image of the Classic PowerPC Mac.

I am I

Reply 1 of 5, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2022-07-11, 00:44:

It is based on BeOS, a spitting image of the Classic PowerPC Mac.

Could you elaborate? I don't think BeOS/Haiku had any binary compatibility with classic Mac. For emulating classic Mac there are already Basilisk II and Sheepshaver which are still being developed.

EDIT: Apparently there are works being done in QEMU that could hopefully emulate and run all PPC MacOS versions (up to OSX 10.5).

Reply 2 of 5, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BeOS ran on 603/604PPC based PCI PowerMacs natively and SheepShaver was released on BeOS first but that doesn't explain much about the meaning of twiz11's statement...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3 of 5, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess the Haiku UI does feel kind of classic-mac-like in some ways. But of course at the API, ABI and overall architecture and design level its about as different from Classic MacOS as Windows NT is.

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At one point I believe beos was supposed to become mac os or a version of it but it ended up being abandoned.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://hackaday.com/2020/01/09/beos-the-alte … erses-mac-os-x/

Is it just me or did the Red&Blue BeBox look a little bit like a Power Mac G3 Blue/White? 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//