VOGONS

Launchbox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got launch-box premium because of emu-paradise, now that they shut down, what do I do with Launch-box, I mainly use it for dos-box because of the GUI config, but again there is d-fend reloaded. Are emulators free, what about certain games, has any rights holders made console ports available for emulation? I know of Bubsy Two-fur but the legality of it is grey

Reply 1 of 4, by Kaega2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I personally use Launchbox myself and love it. I'm confused why you feel LaunchBox is only useful with emu-paradise. It's a great front end for any emulator which are accessible from many different sites.

Emulators are usually free, but not always. Emulators are also 100% legal on their own. Some may require you to acquire a BIOS that should come from a legal source.

When it comes to ROMS this is the real grey area, but it's only really grey because it's so different depending on where you live. I live in Canada, and we have a law that protects us when we wants to use software we've purchased a license for in a way the developer/distributor didn't intend. We can copy the original disc/cartridge as long as we don't distribute and the original/copy aren't used at the same time. We're protected from prosecution when downloading a copy of software we already own from a third party source, but since the other person would have to be illegally distributing it to accomplish this, it's technically illegal still.

To my knowledge most states, and other areas in the world, require you to get the game from the original source but even that is illegal in some places. You'll have to look how laws specifically affect you in your area. I personally believe you should have a right to reuse software you've purchased. You could choose to download the ROMS at your own risk. I've never heard of someone being prosecuted for it.

Oh, an in regards to games the developer might have abandoned allow you to download for free. Version of the games that are published on consoles can still be protected by the publisher. For example a developer might have a copy of a game on PC, SNES, and Genesis that they say is now abandonware. But if Nintendo doesn't agree that may still make it illegal to download the SNES copy.

Reply 2 of 4, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah but I've tried emulation with n64 but the control s were all messed up. That's why I tried mainly PC Amiga dos because it's easier than buying an adapter for each console. Plus the drm place for most games not being able to be taken out. I love emulation and virtual machine but if I can't use it then it's as good as gone if the rights holders don't do a damn thing like source ports. Even then you are dealing with software not designed for the platform like PC. Legal reasons being planned obsolescence and these games won't work anymore in our lifespan except for games that have source code if we can't modify it then it deserves to be lost an orphaned work forever propane unless some one reviews the game and gets attention like system shock. I love close to Canada so would it be legal to sneaker net these stuff not found here or online?

Reply 3 of 4, by Kaega2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
twiz11 wrote:

I love close to Canada so would it be legal to sneaker net these stuff not found here or online?

It's not any easier to find it from Canada. We just have a legal right to copy from original source. Finding the software you're looking for online is no different.

twiz11 wrote:

Yeah but I've tried emulation with n64 but the control s were all messed up.

How were they messed up? Emulators give a lot of control how you can set up a joystick. I use Project64 and have found a way for every game to be comfortable. I even have Goldeneye / Perfect Dark set up to use dual analog by taking advantage of the double N64 controller set up from the original game. You can even use Launchbox to setup separate folders for emulators with different configurations so your game is configured correctly upon launch.

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry twiz11... but this thread/topic isn't really about Launchbox, it's incorrectly titled. So far it's about moaning and groaning how hard it is to find arcade/console/game ROMs/software with some sites shutting down. Sorry but we don't openly discuss ROM sites here as downloading is, while not criminal exactly, not permitted in the United States and many other countries around the world, and online distribution is definitely illegal. Neither is abandonware a thing as some people claim. So sorry, thread locked.

Most threads that discuss the legalities and such matters that don't get caught in time typically head towards thread lock anyways, so says our sixteen-year experience..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

See website footer:

This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto