is there a legal site to buy roms?

Emulation of old consoles and arcades.

is there a legal site to buy roms?

Postby twiz11 » 2019-8-22 @ 19:43

I want to buy doom 64 legally so I can run the doom 64 source port on windows, since emu is gone, i'd rather stick to the straight and narrow,
twiz11

Re: is there a legal site to buy roms?

Postby Kerr Avon » 2019-8-27 @ 20:56

Not that I know of, and part of the problem is that any given game, such as Doom 64, might have been licensed by Nintendo or whoever, and if the license has since ran out (which it will have if Doom 64 was licensed, since it's 20+ years old), then sorting out who has the rights to sell downloads of the roms can be a nightmare. Hence why NIntendo, for example, mainly only sell Nintendo roms (or roms with presumably simple licenses) on their live service.

What you can do is buy the Doom 64 cartridge itself, and that way, legally and morally, you own the game (as in, you legally have the right to play the game, via the cartridge and on a real N64). When you own the physical cartridge (and so the right to play the game), then downloading and playing a rom file of it on your PC, whilst still perhaps a legally grey area, would probably be morally OK for most people (certainly in my view).

Granted, you buying a used cartridge (I *really* doubt you'll find a NEW Doom 64 cartridge now) won't give even a penny to the people who made the game, but that's true of all used game sales (and used records, used books, etc) and used sales are perfectly legal and accepted, and if there's no longer any way to legally buy the game from the game's makers or publisheres, then there's no way for you to give the game's makers your money.

Basically, if you ask me, just buy the original game cartridge, and then morally I'd say you'd have every right to play the PC port of the game. And if the port you play is Doom 64 EX then you're in for a treat. Doom 64 on console was superb (except that it lacked multiplayer, grrr) and Doom 64 EX (by Kaiser, who is a genius at porting console games to the PC, look at Powerslave EX, Turok, etc) is brilliant and amazingly authentic. Plus there's Brutal Doom 64, though play that after Doom 64 EX, so you can appreciate Doom 64 for itself first.

There are several other, earlier, ports of Doom 64 to the PC, by other people, but I've only played Doom 64 EX, and by all accounts it's the best of the bunch.

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

Have fun!
Kerr Avon
Oldbie

Postby twiz11 » 2019-8-27 @ 21:55

or trade in the doom 64 cartridge for a rom, tit for tat
twiz11

Postby DNSDies » 2019-10-03 @ 17:10

Legally, you can't download a ROM, even if you own a cart.
Your only 100% legal option is to rip the ROM from the cart.

That said, there isn't really a way to prove you DIDN'T rip the ROM from the cart instead of downloading it...
DNSDies

Return to Console & Arcade Emulation