VOGONS

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So there are so many reviews and options.

What do you sugest to buy for passing time.

No analog stics needed.
Max Playstation 1 level emulation.
Mainly NES SNES Genesis games.
SD card or something (no buit in games)
Good to have removable battery.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 2 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have also considered a Vita, i had a PSP it was so good handheld, only problem was that many emulator were incomplete. And i am really sad that Sony abandoned the Vita. Somehow i do not like the Nintendo Switch. Maybe the Switch Lite.

But i really do not like to hack and yailbreak, if there are collection of good arm based Android/Linux emulators and game engines. Just China has overflooded the market with cheap plastic stuff, and the pick is just too plenty. It is like choosing a Linux distribution 15 years ago 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 3 of 12, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the PSP works very well for me, and you can always run CFW on it without actually flashing it, making it permanent or modifying it in any other way. Only downside to that would be that you have to launch it every time you power it on, which can get a bit annoying. However, making it permanent can be extremely quick and easy as well, and undone anytime you want. Plus, some homebrew apps, including emulators, are already signed, so you don't even need any CFW to begin with.

A 3DS, especially the newer model would also be powerful enough, but that would require some actual hacking, and a DS/DSi would be too underpowered, plus, the screens have lower resolutions than the actual systems you would want to emulate, so no go there.

The GPD WIN Max seems like a good option, but it might be a bit too pricy and overkill (I sure would love to have one, but that's besides the point 😁).

The Pandora handheld (anyone remember those?) was also something I really wanted as a teen, but the Dragonbox Pyra (its successor by the same people who made the Pandora) is even better, but quite expensive.

All of those options have removable storage, analog sticks, removable batteries (well, most of them do) and powerful enough hardware to properly emulate PS1 and anything before that. I don't know anything without analog sticks that's good personally. Then again, of course I don't know everything 😉

Reply 4 of 12, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQZoVB5PCR8

Tremendous piece of emulation (PSX/PS too!) got 2 of them and it's just masterpiece...

SNES, NES, Megadrive, Saturn, Arcade, Mame, Amiga, DosBox... And many more!

Im getting over 60fps in Resident Evil 2, Tomb Raider 2, Wipeout, Alien Trilogy...

Built quality is great, screen, audio superb...

And it's CHEAP as hell...

Well... I miss 80/90s ... End of story

Reply 6 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2021-01-06, 11:00:

The Pandora handheld (anyone remember those?)

Yep!

Pandoras.jpg
Filename
Pandoras.jpg
File size
400.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Back to useful information though, the RG350 does seem to be the current hotness. Lots of community activity on the Dingoo boards: https://boards.dingoonity.org/retro-game-350rg-350/

Reply 7 of 12, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spitz wrote on 2021-01-06, 18:09:
Guys: […]
Show full quote

Guys:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQZoVB5PCR8

Tremendous piece of emulation (PSX/PS too!) got 2 of them and it's just masterpiece...

SNES, NES, Megadrive, Saturn, Arcade, Mame, Amiga, DosBox... And many more!

Im getting over 60fps in Resident Evil 2, Tomb Raider 2, Wipeout, Alien Trilogy...

Built quality is great, screen, audio superb...

And it's CHEAP as hell...

I had no idea about this, and unlike GPD Win Max and Pandora/Dragonbox Pyra it doesn't break the bank either. I knew posting here was worth it.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-01-06, 18:30:

Any smart phone on a controller mount will probably work. You aren't asking for a whole lot.

Obvious enough, and it should work just fine indeed, though I think he means a dedicated device just for emulation.

Reply 8 of 12, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my own experience - I didn't encounter single game that refused to work on it... I thought - ok nice piece of retro handheld but for sure there gonna be lot of problems with games compatibility - my mistake.... It runs perfect! It even let You play Quake 1 & 2 smooth!
Edit:
Just a quick vid to show You how smooth Alien Trilogy is working:

https://youtu.be/z96ug5Bp8Dc

Well... I miss 80/90s ... End of story

Reply 10 of 12, by will1384

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had got a PS vita and it worked well, but it cost a lot and did not emulate everything I wanted, I them found a "Odroid Go Advance" and that worked very well and was much cheaper, BTW it will play PS1, N64, some PSP games, and it was under $100.

Reply 11 of 12, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any smart phone on a controller mount will probably work. You aren't asking for a whole lot.

I have a GPD X D and I like it quite a bit.

I was going to recommend this. Most everybody has a smartphone these days, and they're pretty powerful. I've run everything up to PSP and PS1 on my Galaxy Note 9 and they play flawlessly. I used to laugh at the thought of playing emulators on my phone, until I tried it, and was blown away by how good it is. With a collapsible controller it's not much different than playing a PSP, except bigger and sharper screen, and you can fit all the games you like on a SD card.

I have this controller and it works really well. I guess it's discontinued now but there are others like it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CMN2LP/ref=cm_s … ding=UTF8&psc=1

Reply 12 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a GPD X D and I like it quite a bit.

What's the decent emulators for smartphones?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.