VOGONS

FF7 in ePSXe looks crappy

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When the characters are small they are made up of small triangles and squares instead of just being smaller but normal in appearance.

Untitled.png
Filename
Untitled.png
File size
139.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Is there any way to fix this?
I'm using Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9

config1.JPG
Filename
config1.JPG
File size
135.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
config2.JPG
Filename
config2.JPG
File size
73.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to the Playstation!

Newer emulators like Beetle PSX HW and Duckstation have this newer technology called PGXP that tries to alleviate this. I don't personally use it though. I'd live with the intended wobbly verts on the proper frame buffer through accurate software renderers.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you running an emulator that's at least six years old?

But yeah, as mentioned, PSX 3D rendering just isn't pretty, newer emulators have workarounds, but it's just never going to look good at high resolution.

If you want to play Final Fantasy VII, modding the PC version is your best route if you really want high resolution character rendering. Personally I prefer to play the PSX port at native resolution.

Reply 3 of 5, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-06-04, 16:36:

Welcome to the Playstation!

Newer emulators like Beetle PSX HW and Duckstation have this newer technology called PGXP that tries to alleviate this. I don't personally use it though. I'd live with the intended wobbly verts on the proper frame buffer through accurate software renderers.

I'll try those other emulators later, thanks for suggestions

ZellSF wrote on 2022-06-04, 16:56:

Why are you running an emulator that's at least six years old?

Why wouldn't I? Hehehe

Reply 5 of 5, by Mister98XPee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-06-09, 13:45:

Because it's outdated, and other emulators are significantly better?

It's sort of like asking why you would use Firefox, when you have this perfectly good install of Internet Explorer 4.0.

It's like why would I want to run Windows 98SE to play some kids games like Land Before Time series that struggle at best on newer OS's and have no modern equivalent since almost anyone does is the same things over and over.