Topic actions

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Inspired by this thread:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=1497

Might migrate this later to "Deep Thought", but at present I'm looking for game titles that we can confirm have had their source released. These are the titles that have the greatest likelihood of surviving multiple processor and OS changes. For example, since the DOOM source was released, it has been ported to numerous systems that never had the original release. Also, source ports allow for the possible enhancements of the game's interface, so new ideas can implemented while preserving the original gameplay.

This list is nowhere near complete...In fact it will only start with a few titles that I can recall "off-the-top-of-my-head".

Battle of Britain (Rowan)
Descent
Descent II
DOOM (DOOM II, Ultimate DOOM, etc...)
Duke Nukem 3D (v1.5: The Atomic Edition)
Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum
FreeSpace 2
Heretic
Hexen
Hexen II
Ken's Labyrinth 3D
Mig Alley (Rowan)
Quake
Quake II
Rise of the Triad (R.O.T.T.)
Star Control II (The Ur-Quan Masters)

If you know of a source release (not necessarily a port), let me know, but please give some kind of reference to back it up.

Reply 1 of 22, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dunno if it really counts or not, but FreeSpace 2 has had its source code released. The unadulterated source can be found here:

http://www.freespace-2.com/ddn/sources/freespace2/

while the community project thats sprung up around it can be found here:

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fsscp/

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 3 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other games I know of off the top of my head:
Descent (and I think Descent II)
Starflight (they're scraping together all sorts of design documents and posting them; I think the source code that's up is incomplete and from non-final revisions of the game)

Reply 4 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by LSD ...FreeSpace 2 has had its source code released.

Added/Updated

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Beneath a Steel Sky was released privately! But it was written in assembly language mostly, so large parts will need rewritten into C! so - it does not qualify for your list?

I'd say no. Only a select few have access to it, AFAIK it's not for public release, and (at the risk of sounding pessimistic), there may come a time when these programmers throw their hands up in the air and say "it's hopeless...use an emulator". I'm still amazed that they programmed this for two different formats (Amiga/PC), but shared almost no code between the two...

Originally posted by HunterZ ...
Descent (and I think Descent II)

Confirmed both here (refers to the D1 release in 1998). Added/Updated.

Starflight (they're scraping together all sorts of design documents and posting them; I think the source code that's up is incomplete and from non-final revisions of the game)

Pass. It's not enough for someone to really create a port, and trying to dig up that data from old floppies... wouldn't get my hopes up too high...

Maybe later, if he keeps making updates...

Reply 6 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jon Beilin wrote:

could we also compile a list of good releases? ie, tenebrae for quake, doomsday for doom, etc.

But those are enhanced ports, not source releases of commercial games. Such a list would be huge and worthy of its own web site I would think.

Reply 7 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jon Beilin ur-quaan masters (sc2 3do)

Can't believe I forgot that one, a very big deal considering what a pain it was to run on modern PC's.
Added/Update.

...could we also compile a list of good releases? ie, tenebrae for quake, doomsday for doom, etc.

Hrmm...could be tricky. The problem would be getting universal agreement on "good" ports. Still can't believe how some people want their DOOM to be "pure" (low-res, chunky, 320x200, etc...).

Originally posted by Jon Beilin i believe the phrasing of my original statement implied a separate list.

It would need it. Let's try to get a more thorough source list, first.

Reply 8 of 22, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Inspired by this thread:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=1497

I think thats the first time i've ever inspired someone. 🤣

Add Rowan's Mig Alley to that list http://www.simhq.com/_downloads/downloads_air.html

and Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum http://eech.bollocks.net.nz/index.php

Last edited by Hentzau on 2003-06-01, 07:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 22, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin

I have a huge collection of game source code and links on the QuakeSrc server.

Give me an hour or so to try and put it into some kind of order, and to filter out files that I can't confirm were publically released (I have a lot of game source 😀 and I'll post a link.

-- Ender
Project Leader,
http://www.scummvm.org/

Reply 10 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender Give me an hour or so to try and put it into some kind of order, and to filter out files that I can't confirm were publicly released (I have a lot of game source 😀 and I'll post a link.

Ok, just remember we're trying to stick with "commercial" titles. Titles that you used to buy in a store, but now you can compile your own build.

I'm debating the inclusion of "Golgotha", it was meant to be sold in stores, but the company went out of business before completion. Also, I still haven't found a valid link for the source code.

One weird discovery, the source code for the Atari2600 version of "Dragonfire" was released...*heh*
http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/source/ … gonfire_source/

Uh, gee, thanks guys. I prefer the ColecoVision version anyway...

Reply 11 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Uh, gee, thanks guys. I prefer the ColecoVision version anyway...

Sacrilige! *beats Nicht with a set of Atari paddles*

Hmm...I think Game Boy programming is as old as I want to go - at least I was able to do that in C 😉 Assembly is unreadable.

Reply 12 of 22, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
Ok, just remember we're trying to stick with "commercial" titles. Titles that you used to buy in a store, but now you can compile your own build.

I know that. I just have a lot of source code that I've collected along the way, it's hard to track down what code is and where it came from 😜

Anyway, the list is mostly built, I'm just going to wait until tommorow to script it up to a database/wiki style system (so people can add to it), and give it a nice layout.

In fact, the system is going to be a whole Classic Gaming info-cive, with a huge list of games and information to search by numerous fields. 'Source released' is just one of many options 😀

More news soon...

-- Ender
Project Leader,
http://www.scummvm.org/

Reply 13 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Sacrilige! *beats Nicht with a set of Atari paddles*

You Mad Fool! What have you done! The Atari Paddle controller is one of the most fragile controllers out there!
*removes ruined paddle controllers while glaring at HunterZ*

Assembly is unreadable.

There are still some programmers out there who actually like it.

Reply 15 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender I know that. I just have a lot of source code that I've collected along the way, it's hard to track down what code is and where it came from 😜

Ok, ok, just making sure... Trying to prevent 2000 variations of poorly-made open-source "Tron" clones.

In fact, the system is going to be a whole Classic Gaming info-cive, with a huge list of games and information to search by numerous fields. 'Source released' is just one of many options

Oh no, another database. Pretty soon we're going to need a database of all the databases.

Reply 16 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

The Atari Paddle controller is one of the most fragile controllers out there!

Strange...I must have gone through 4 pairs of joysticks but I still have my original paddles (plus another pair that my cousins gave me) in working condition.

There are still some programmers out there who actually like it.

Yeah, we're a strange breed. We don't get out much.

Originally posted by Snover add -128 faster than sub 128 hurray for assembly. oh yeah. […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Snover
add -128
faster than
sub 128
hurray for assembly.
oh yeah.

and what's this I hear about division being four times slower than multiplication?

That's integer division and multiplication, not floating point, so you can forget what you're thinking 😜 If you're multiplying or dividing by powers of 2, however, you can use bit shifts! 😎

Getting even more off-topic: I'm feeling very off-topic lately.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2005-11-15, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Strange...I must have gone through 4 pairs of joysticks but I still have my original paddles (plus another pair that my cousins gave me) in working condition.

Well I'm presuming that you weren't using them like Bolas to attack people. That's what I was talking about.

Don't know about your paddle controllers, but mine always had little-to-no "stress relief" on the wiring. One good yank and you could ruin your controller. Resoldering wouldn't be too hard (presuming that soldering was a common skill for kids), but yanking on the wire usually damaged the control pot as well.

Having said all that, a frenzied session of "Kaboom" could ruin a paddle controller. Kaboom was the closest thing to a pure "reflex" game, ever.

Reply 18 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now that I think about it (by think I mean that I pulled my shoebox of Atari games out of the closet 😜), I probably have working paddles due to the fact that I have only a few paddle games (G.I. Joe, Night Driver, Pong), and most of them I got from my cousins long after the Nintendo had even come out. They should have made Space Invaders use the paddles - I wonder why they didn't? Maybe it was programmed before the paddles had been designed? I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the first couple of commercially sold Atari 2600 games. I think I have about 3 or 4 Space Invaders cartridges (same with Asteroids and Pac-Man)

Note how I deftly segue from one off-topic topic to another to keep everyone disoriented (especially myself)

Reply 19 of 22, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ They should have made Space Invaders use the paddles - I wonder why they didn't?

Obvious answer: it would've made it insanely easy. Imagine if Pac-Man could move 3x faster than the monsters? Half of the game (literally) was planning the movement of your base so it would be at the right place at the right time to nail a critically important shot, the UFO, and especially the "last alien" are the main examples of this.

Put a high-speed rotary control on it and you end up with Tempest.

Maybe it was programmed before the paddles had been designed?

Before Pong? *heh* No, that wasn't it.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the first couple of commercially sold Atari 2600 games. I think I have about 3 or 4 Space Invaders cartridges (same with Asteroids and Pac-Man)

No, no.
http://www.atariage.com/system_catalogs.html?SystemID=2600
Scroll down to the ATARI catalogs, "Space Invaders" came 3 years after the 2600 was 1st released and came after 30+ cartridges. It was, as that site claims, the first "killer-app" video game. They were especially generous in that instead of just giving people a straight "port", they gave us a lot of new features (although I found a few to be ridiculous--What lunatic came up with "Invisible Invaders"?). Probably the best setup was 2-player simultaneous with remote control missiles.

Note how I deftly segue from one off-topic topic to another to keep everyone disoriented (especially myself)

Yes. Stop it. You're as bad about this as Stiletto. The last thing I need is go to some old Atari site and dig through huge piles of minutiae about Atari console games.

*pauses*
*returns to Atari site to dig through huge piles of minutiae*