VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 165, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

could be possible indeed

My builds of dosbox sometimes fail because of the virus scanner also opening the file..

They tend to scan files on changes which seems to prevent futher changes during the scan.....

So if diskwriter opens a file.... crashes are possible

Maybe let the diskwriter open the file with some sharing flags.(or without them...)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 22 of 165, by SaPu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DO NOT RUN the installer on NT 4.0, or you'll find than your system becomed unbootable.
The installer copies two files (atl.dll and msvcrt.dll) into the \winnt\system32 directories, but they are not compatible with the O.S., and the system crashes (blue screen of death) at every following reboot.
The copy is done immediately after the language selection: after this step, also if you cancel the installation, it's already too late !!!

Reply 23 of 165, by DragonSoull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, first of all good call on using NSIS instead of InnoSetup (just too big) 😉
I tried it on a brand new WinxpSp1 install and i was unable to get tomb raider playing, in the past i just used "Run with VDMSound" with out icon and it runed fine, now the setup freezes on close and the game right at the beginning 🙁
Any ideas why?

edit: Just got it to run by using a bat with;

dosdrv
tomb

So i assume theres a problem in lanchpad?

Last edited by DragonSoull on 2003-09-01, 11:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 165, by DragonSoull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see, now just one more thing how do you start sapucdex with the VDMSound Shortcut?
And is VMSound planing to emulate MSDCEX? I checked that option but with no results.

edit: An weres the lanchpad help file? I t would be nice to know what the options do.

Sorry for my ignorance people.

Reply 26 of 165, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DragonSoull I see, now just one more thing how do you start sapucdex with the VDMSound Shortcut?

showthread.php?threadid=2064
Near the bottom...

And is VMSound planing to emulate MSDCEX? I checked that option but with no results.

That enables the OS MSCDEX to run. If it fails, try SAPUCDEX.

Reply 30 of 165, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DragonSoull how? make a bat file caling dosdrv spaucdex tomb? or is there a simpler way?

No. Unless you're running it with GliDOS just use the VLP shortcut that the VDMSound creates when you run it.

IOW, run TOMB.EXE with "Run with VDMS". Quit, (Since this is Tomb Raider, you'll probably have to kill it manually) and you'll now have a .VLP shortcut (the VLP extension might not be visible), so you'll have a TOMB icon with "Command Prompt" symbol as it's icon.

Right-click on it and choose "Properties". Click the Advanced button, click on the Compatibility tab, then click in the box by "Enable CLI/POPF workaround" (to disable it).

Click on the DOS Environment, type SAPUCDEX into the box below "AUTOEXEC.BAT", click OK, click OK again.

Reply 31 of 165, by DragonSoull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that did the trick 😉 thanks
Now i just needed to figure out why Tomb Raider exited to windows when i tried to to enter a level...

I messed with the settings and disabled the "Close DOS window on exit" and i manage to see this little error:

Tomb Raider (c) Core Design. Oct 30 1996 16:24:55

ERROR: Cannot initialise FMV player

i managed to fix that by reinstalling the game but after going for a second run it popped back again.
So i made a CD image and mounted it into a virtual drive and very gently reinstalled the game and, success! tomb raider was running, even if not perfect since the CD audio didn't stop (it just keeps playing the main screen tune over and over).

But has it's been my curse in the Tomb Raider game now my saves seem to be lost :~( it gives this error message:

Tomb Raider (c) Core Design. Oct 30 1996 16:24:55

Level 11 (E:\data\level8b.phd) is version 56037320 (this game code is version 32
)

Maybe it was because i used Glidos to run the first two levels but it worked ok at the time i could use the saves in both version (soft and 3dfx).

Can anybody help this pour bastard...

Reply 32 of 165, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DragonSoull Well that did the trick 😉 thanks

...and there was much rejoicing. Yea.

i managed to fix that by reinstalling the game but after going for a second run it popped back again.
So i made a CD image and mounted it into a virtual drive and very gently reinstalled the game and, success! tomb raider was running, even if not perfect since the CD audio didn't stop (it just keeps playing the main screen tune over and over).

Sounds kind of like your CD is approaching the end of it's life-cycle.

Last I checked, v1.005 of SAPUCDEX worked properly with my TombRaider's audio tracks.

But has it's been my curse in the Tomb Raider game now my saves seem to be lost :~( it gives this error message:

Maybe it was because i used Glidos to run the first two levels but it worked ok at the time i could use the saves in both version (soft and 3dfx).

The 3dfx version's save files and the software version's aren't compatible. You can try using them, but plan on it crashing if you do.

Can anybody help this pour bastard...

Start over, and stop using your old save files.

Reply 33 of 165, by DragonSoull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's not a solution.
Any way i installed Glidos and run Tomb Raider and the saves worked fine, then with VDMSound and it also loaded fine but it still exits to windows after a wile.
I seems i just need to keep on trying, nobody said it was going to be easy or even logical.
Anyway thanks for the help 😉

Reply 34 of 165, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DragonSoull Well that's not a solution.

Sure it is. It's just one that you don't like.

Any way i installed Glidos and run Tomb Raider and the saves worked fine, then with VDMSound and it also loaded fine but it still exits to windows after a wile.

If you use the software3d saves with the software3D version and the Glide saves with the GliDOS version, you'll be OK.

You start using one version saves with another version's executable, you will continue to experience lockups and/or "Drop-to-Desktop" issues. Unless you're sure you know which is which, you'll probably mix them up and still get these problems. That's why I suggested starting over.

Reply 35 of 165, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the world may know...

I'm experiencing weird issues with the SAPUCDEX executable included in VDMS 2.1 (only when Digital Playback is activated). For example, Tomb Raider bombs back to the desktop when I select the mansion training stage, or the title tune keeps playing even after I quit the game and close Glidos.

I reverted back to the latest stand-alone SAPUCDEX 1.0.0.5 previously released on the forum, that solved my problems. I noticed that this version seems newer (05-27-2003) than the one from the VDMS package (05-08-2003).

Reply 36 of 165, by DragonSoull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is happening to me too, i'll see if your solution works for me has well

edit: In a stupid act i deleted the sapucdex 1.0.0.5.zip i had when i download VDMSound 2.1 and now i can't find the file any where in the forum, can anybody provide a link for me :~(

Last edited by DragonSoull on 2003-09-06, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 165, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might be something to the VMDSound re-release of Sapucdex as noted by the posters above...

Included in Sapucdex v1.0.0.5 (zip file)

05/27/2003  12:05 AM               923 SAPUCDEX.EXE
05/27/2003 12:05 AM 13,312 sapucdex.dll (works)

Included with VDMSound 2.1.0 (Beta)

05/08/2003  02:31 PM               923 SAPUCDEX.EXE
05/08/2003 02:31 PM 28,672 sapucdex.dll (problems)

The DOS stub EXEs are the same, however the DLL included with the VDMSound 2.1.0 (Beta) looks to not be the version 1.0.0.5, but perhaps a previous 'debug'?? version with no resource labels. Version is unknown.

Does not seem to have the same functionality as the version 1.0.0.5 SapuCdex.dll file.

Might want to check on this one...

dvwjr