VOGONS

Common searches

Timer Bugfixes for Sierra Adventures

Topic actions

First post, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone has Problems with the Timer Settings in Sierra Adventures, you can download the Script Timer Fixes at this page:

http://geocities.com/belzorash/

I'm searching for fixes to other Games too, but i have'nt found anything til yet.

Let me know if this work'd. I tried most of them especialy the one for the
Space Quest Series, and, i have to say, it IS WORKING

😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Reply 1 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish someone would just write a open-source interpreter for all of Sierra's games (well, all AGI *and* SCI games at least) - one that is as good as ScummVM, but for Sierra games. Or, add it to ScummVM and it will become an unstoppable force of pure awesomeness.

Reply 2 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HunterZ, you do know about FreeSCI, don't you? As far as AGI is concerned, there is NAGI and Sarien, too. NAGI is very good, though it could use a couple of things changed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 21, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ collector & HunterZ:
Strange , but on my PC the AGI versions run without emulation (mayve HunterZ has other System or OS) - for the SCI & VGA versions i use VDM-Sound, it works 100% without problems. I only Play sq4 (CD version) through DOSBOX. (and i have nearly all Sierra Adventures that were avaiable for DOS)

Reply 4 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NAGI is old and FreeSCI doesn't support newer SCI games like Space Quest 4 and Quest for Glory 3 (yet?). I used GBAGI on my GBA when I had a flash cartridge - it was cool but buggy. I admit though that I can't remember spending much time playing with either program.

The advantages of a new interpreter would include:

• Emulation of various sound hardware that may not be physically present in the computer
  • Advanced graphics filtering and scaling modes could be implemented
  • Other stuff I can't think of because my brain is fried from a long work week

Also, I wouldn't want to run AGI or SCI games using the NTVDM, even with VDMSound, as I'd be forced to run them full-screen.

Reply 5 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

True, the stable release of FreeSCI only supports SCI0 and the development of it is painfully slow, no where near the pace of ScummVM or DOSBox. I doubt that it will be developed much further. Personally I have given up on it. I agree with you about the NTVDM, as it is missing from XP64.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was looking at the FreeSCI site and am impressed by their graphic filtering modes. I'll definitely check it out if I get an itch to play SCI0 games like SQ3.

Reply 7 of 21, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FreeSCI hasn't offered any Windows binaries for eons now. I can't be bothered to setup a compile environment to create my own so I considered FreeSCI even more dead than their development speed suggested 😒

A shame 'cause it's the only SCI engine emulator than 'works'. Last years (or maybe the year before) April Fools by the SCUMMVM, FreeSCI and NAGI teams was such a teaser 🙁

Reply 8 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bunch of snobby Linux nerds, eh? Pfft, that's lame. Screw FreeSCI then 😜

According to their news page (http://freesci.linuxgames.com/), they didn't have a maintainer for the Win32 port for a long time, and didn't find a volunteer for the job until last August. That was a long time ago though...

It also appears that they're using Visual C++ for the Win32 port, which sucks because I'd rather use Mingw32 or even Cygwin... Someone should re-port the Unix source to Win32 using one of those environments (preferably Mingw32 since I already have it set up so I can compile DOSbox and SDL CVS sources)

Reply 9 of 21, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They've not release Win32 binaries for a year+ which makes the project dead for me 😀 I don't mind if they want to focus on Linux but it doesn't seem like they are focusing on anything at all... their CVS connection was/is down and a lot of the links were 404 when I last tried!

I just grabbed the source 0.6.1b source and will see what the compile requirements are like.

Edit: That was easy... binary for 0.6.1b Win32 now hosted here.

Built with VS.NET2003, SDL 1.2.8
Tested (not extensively!) with LSL3

Reply 10 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Is there any way that you could compile it so that it can use external an SDL.DLL? I like to build the latest CVS occasionally and use it with DOSBox and ScummVM.

Reply 11 of 21, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FreeSCI does not statically link SDL. It uses the standard Windows DLL search pattern to dynamically load the DLL on startup. Unless the SDL API changes so that it would cause a runtime execution failure, you should be able to drop in a newer (or older) version of the SDL DLL.

Hope that helps.

Reply 13 of 21, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it is. I've not managed to get 0.3.4 to compile as yet (I only spent 10 minutes trying). It did surprise me that glutton compiled whilst the normal one didn't!

Are you after a binary for 0.3.4 'in a hurry'?

Edit:
I took a few guess at how to fix the issues (compilation errors, missing files, bad project config) and a binary for 0.3.4c Win32 is now hosted here.

As per the Glutton release, built with VS.NET2003, SDL 1.2.8
Tested (not extensively!) with LSL3

If the binaries are stable enough (feedback please), I'll add a separate topic as this is already 'in the wild' 🤐

Out of courtesy I e-mailed 'jameson' this morning but the e-mail was immediately returned with error 550 (user not known)... if that doesn't say what the state of the project is ... Most useful links on the project page are also 404 😒

Reply 15 of 21, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure what the technical differences are myself. 0.3.4c is defined as the 'stable' version whereas 0.6.1b is the experimental version. You should check their site for details - http://www.freesci.org

Edit: Add URL!

Reply 16 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reckless, 0.3.4c seems to run OK, but I can't get the Glutton build to run any games. HunterZ, Glutton is supposed to run SCI1 games. It might be best to have a mod split this to a new thread, or to at least start a new one.

Reply 17 of 21, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont get it Guys, you use FREESCII, NAGI , and maybe DOSBOX + VDMSOUND and maybe even more !
In future every game that U play will have his own Personall Emulator, so you will have 100 Games and 100 Different Emulators ! - thats too high for me . 😵 😵
I try to use the lowest number of emulators that i can - @ this time: i use 2 of them: DOSBOX & VDMSOUND, and i have no problems with running any game - only sometimes (Strike Commander). The Most of my Games work with DOSBOX without any Problem, the rest (Sierra-VGA Versions) are running with VDMS without any Problem I dont care if its fullscreen - just the opposite: when i play it fullscreen i think i have a really old PC and not a "not so old" PC 😁 😁

Reply 18 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mephisto: As many have said, VDMSound is going to go away as an option in the next few years, both because it is not longer being developed and because built-in DOS support will change or disappear from future versions of Windows (plus, who knows how long Windows will be the dominant OS).

DOSBox is great (no, awesome), but look at how much better ScummVM is at running a lot of LucasArts adventure games. I just wish Sierra AGI/SCI0/SCI1 games would get similar treatment.

Reply 19 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HunterZ is right. XPs VDM will not be included with the release of 64 bit XP this spring. Just dropping NAGI into any AGI game folder to replace the original executable allows the game to run natively in 64 bit Windows. Also there are ports for other platforms.

ScummVM, FreeSCI, NAGI, etc. are interpreters, not emulators. They are simply replacing the original game engines, not emulating the environment for the original interpreters.