VOGONS

First post, by Massive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VDMS runs Future Shock smooth enough for me, better than Dosbox (despite all the CVNS builds I tried, messing with cycles and various parameters in the conf the thing still has 20 second load time and slideshow gameplay, whereas VDMS does that in 2 seconds and runs smooth) but for some odd reason it tends to quit itself automatically, without a good reason and I'm thrown back at the damn folder. Happens quite often, however the crash can be "provoked" when I destroy a car.. if it helps.

Specs:
Athlon 1 Ghz 512 DD Ram, Radeon 9200 SE

FShock is set up:
Sound card: Sound Blaster or 100% compatible at port 220 (same goes for VDMS)
Midi Card: Roland RAP 10 at 330

Please help me out, this is a great game and I don't have enough time to struggle with configs when I got 10-15 minutes for a round 😢
I appreciate any advice, Dosbox ones including.

Reply 2 of 5, by Massive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately, it didn't work.. I set up midi and digital devices to "none" in the game's setup and deactivated digi and midi support in VDMS. It played nicely, then was killed. Not to mention gameplay suffers than (can't hear enemies and a real lack of atmosphere..).

If you meant by running the game without VDMS-that's not possible. I need the VESA support (VDMS refuses to run the game until the basic vesa support is enabled). I hope that gives some more information on this case.

EDIT:
Running without VDMS is actually possible. The sound is choppy but it's ok. The worst thing however is that it still crashes without a warning. 🙁

Reply 3 of 5, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try using DOS32A extender? I once used it to run Skynet in hi-res in WinXP, also worked to get hi-res in Future Shock through Skynet. You should be carefull though, somewhere on this forum I have read that hi-res in Skynet can blow your monitor. 😅

Edit:
As for not running without low level vesa in VDMS, you should run game in fullscreen, that fixes it. 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, enable basic VESA support in VDMSound is just a MISNOMER. It just means running FULLSCREEN. Nothing to do with VESA bios extensions.

PS - I still don't know if the game crashed when you were running it without sound. If it didn't, then you should try a different music/sound effects combination.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 5, by Massive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your suggestion, but it doesn't seem to have improved anything, sadly. I've followed the Dos32A way and it still lags as hell, however, in Dos Box's case I think it's something to do with memory. The loading screen is extremely long and the damn thing uses all my processor's power.

If Dosbox ran faster, the problem would've been solved. I forced myself to play a bit of the slideshow, and it hasn't crashed for 30 minutes. Surely there must be some way to speed the thing up..?

EDIT:

eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I still don't know if the game crashed when you were running it without sound. If it didn't, then you should try a different music/sound effects combination.

It has crashed, without the sound. I don't think it's the issue as System Shock, ran on VDMS, tends to do the same. Only less often. (i.e. crash most unexpectedly without an excuse)