VOGONS

First post, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have been using VDMS for years and I think it's a great software, but I recently ran into a problem: I installed VDMS 2.10 at a friend's place(WinXP) and when I tried to run it I got an error stating that it can't find a file in the temporary files folder. The path to the temporary files folder contains my friend's username which is in a foreign language (Hebrew) and in the error message I got, it(the name in the path) was replaced by question marks.
That made me conclude that the problem was that VDMS (Launchpad?) can't recognize Hebrew characters in a path.
Furthermore, after changing the temporary files environment variable to a different(existing) folder, VDMS ran fine.
So my question is: Is there any way to make VDMS work without changing the temporary files environment variable?

BTW, I searched the forum before posting and didn't find any posts relevant. I also read the help and docs that comes with the program(and also checked the in-program options looking for an option to change working folder). and I didn't post any other info because I didn't think it was needed, but if it is needed I can provide any info upon request.

Thanks,
Og.

Reply 1 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm thinking that this is more of a Windows problem than VDMSound.

Can you try creating a folder with your friends username and try copying files to and from this folder? Also create a subfolder called TEMP in this folder and do the same.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, it isn't a windows problem, windows doesn't have any problem accessing hebrew folder names if the hebrew language is installed, for example, my computer's XP is in english but has hebrew installed and I'm always working with hebrew folders and files, not to metion that he has a full hebrew windows (I.E. a hebrew MUI - if you know what that is).
and creating a Temp folder where you specified dosn't change anything (why should it?).

I'm pretty sure this is a VDMSound problem, and I have also attached the error message below. It's just your regular "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error though.

Attachments

• heberror.JPG
    Filename
    heberror.JPG
    File size
    17.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The error.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try copying both AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT from \Windows\Repair folder to \Windows\System32

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 17, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, I thought you were just making a joke about the expression I used:

Og wrote:

It's just your regular "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error

Sorry.

At any rate, I am very aware of the infamous autoexec.nt error, however as you can clearly see in the picture I have attached in my last post there is no reference to the aforementioned infamous file. The autoexec.nt error looks like this:

Attachments

• shlomi.JPG
    Filename
    shlomi.JPG
    File size
    13.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Autoexec.nt missing or damaged
    File license

Reply 8 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that DosFreak is right. Remember that VDMS is using the NTVDM and sees paths and file names as DOS does, not Windows. If you don't want to reset the temp path, you could just use DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 17, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

eL_PuSHeR: Sure 😀 (I'm assuming you mean the 1st error):
----
Title: 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
[1st line is the location of the temp folder with visible hebrew characters]
[2nd line starts with the location of the temp folder but with hebrew characters converted to question marks, followed by this text:]The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
----
In other words, the text is identical to the autoexec.nt error, however, the files are generated(and generated correctly) in the temp folder. VDMS simply can't read them from there.

collector: Thank you for your help, but I am using DOSBox all the time, it is an amazing emulator, however, sometimes I just want to use NTVDM for many reasons which I will not specify here.
Oh, and NTVDM shouldn't have a problem with hebrew either:

Attachments

• hebNTVDM.JPG
    Filename
    hebNTVDM.JPG
    File size
    25.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an idea that might work for you.

Right-click on My PC > Properties > Advanced Options > Environment Variables > System Variables > Make sure there is both a TEMP and TMP variables. Modify them accordingly.

Check image below. It's in Spanish, but I think you will get the picture. The idea is to make the TEMP paths variables using shortnames.

Make a System Restore point before, just to be on the safe side.

Also, you might need to uninstall/reinstall VDMSound again after making those changes.

Attachments

• environ.png
    Filename
    environ.png
    File size
    9.45 KiB
    Views
    File license

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 11 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The reason I mentioned creating a folder with the characters is I've had alot of situations with folders in Windows where if they were really long and used "unusual" characters that I would have issues copying to and from the folder. (Nothing to do with NTVDM, just usual Windows folder oddness).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 17, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

<Sigh>

I give up... Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

By the way, if Vlad R. happens to come by this thread and has something to say about this, I'll be happy to hear(read) it.

Regards,
Og.

Reply 14 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, Og. Did you try setting temp folder to a short name using non-Hebrew characters?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 15 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In his first post he said that it worked when he did this

Furthermore, after changing the temporary files environment variable to a different(existing) folder, VDMS ran fine.

but for some reason this is not an acceptable solution. Personally, I like to set my temp folder to C:\TEMP anyway, so that I can easily get to it. There is a lot that doesn't get deleted after it is not being used anymore.

Reply 16 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Og - did you take a look at those "unsuiteable" temp-files? There is a small time window between the time when VDMSound generates the files, and when it removes them again. Run a script in another window that constantly tries to copy the temp-files into a safe location. Then you can look at what they contain, and maybe spot what makes them "unsuitable".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 17 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yepp, it's a Windows problem alright. LaunchPad generates a temporary .pif (that's Windows) file that refers to a temporary CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT files, but Widnows gives the error you see when the paths to AUTOEXEC.NT/CONFIG.NT contain funny stuff.

NOW, the latest VDMSound from Vogons puts the short names inside the .pif file to go around this kind of problem (and other problems, such as long paths "C:\Documents and Settings\Very Long User Name" blowing the 64-char limit inside the .pif format) but Windows still screws up IIRC hence your error.

Temporary .pif files are kept about 5 seconds IIRC in %TEMP% so you can make a copy quickly before it's erased by VDMSound to check if it has the correct (short) paths inside and confirm whether Windows screws up despite that, if not then check 1) that you have a good VDMSound and 2) that short file names are active on your disk ("DIR /X" in a command prompt to see if dirs have both the long and short file names)

V.